Thursday, December 4, 2014

Holiday Happenings

 It has been awhile since my last post before Thanksgiving. I hope that those of you who celebrated had a wonderful day! Ours was on a smaller scale this year so it worked out quite well. So, where have I been????

 We all know that life happens and sometimes something not anticipated causes a change in your everyday routine. Without going into too much let me explain. Hubby has a great aunt (88) and a great uncle (94). Both live alone in their homes. For many years they have been so very kind and supportive of hubby and me despite the lack thereof by the rest of his immediate family. Aunt Betty doesn't drive so I along with some friends take her to appointments, shopping etc. Just before Thanksgiving Betty found out that her brother Truman who was still driving and handling all his affairs had a horrible fall in a parking lot. No broken bones or concussion but numerous open wounds and severe bruising etc. There is no one else to help out so I have been treating his wounds and taking him to various dr. appointments, etc. along with Betty. He should NOT be living alone but at this point refuses any other option. Uncle Truman has a mind of his own and our biggest fear is that he will get in one of his cars and drive (despite dr orders not to). Needless to say in order to prevent that from happening I am running over to him frequently. I am so very grateful that he will accept my help and I believe he is starting to realize how lonely he was since his wife died.  I have worked with the elderly all my life and know this is where I need to be right now. Hence, no Christmas shopping even started, no decorations out, and only a few cards made. But IT'S OK. It will be what it will be. Thankfully there are no little ones to get gifts for and no young ones living at home!

 I have manged to squeeze in a bit of art so here goes...

 First up is my calendar spread for December-the last class in JoAnne Sharpe's Draw Your Awesome Year online class. This is what's done so far:

   I hope to get the watercoloring done real soon. In the meantime I'm jotting down a note about each day so I can fill it in when I get a chance.

  Here are a few EASY PEASY Christmas cards I made:



  I simply used  decorative gift tags, decorative card stock and either ribbon or washi tape. Linking to the Simon Monday Challenge blog (theme is holiday cards) and the Simon Wednesday Challenge Blog (theme is Christmas/holidays).

 In looking and trying to decide what kind of online class I want to take for next year I recently discovered Wildly Inspired Wednesday through Effy Wild's blog where she posts videos , art and challenges each month. This project is the current challenge/ episode. There are 15 episodes in all and although the challeges are finished I can't wait to get the time to look at a few more and try some of them. Oh, and Effy generously offers a seat in one of her online classes each month!

 The challenge was to create this portrait using graphite, a black Stabilo All pencil and a waterbrush to pull color for shading. To complete her I used a bit of watercolor pencil, and water colors:

   I chose to add the words which kept coming to me as I was working on it. I am linking this to Art Journal Every Day and Paint Party Friday. I will try and get around to as many of you as I can-I have missed your linked art projects lately!

   " There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up."
                                                                                                                   John Andrew Holmes Jr.

33 comments:

  1. Lovely Linda! That is so generous from you and I think this is the best thing for the christmas heart to look and bring love to the old ones...
    Wonderful pieces did you made in between this lot's of work!

    Wish the best for you and power enough to manage this all!

    ♥♥♥
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful art, and what you are doing for your uncle is more than beautiful, he is lucky to have you! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very kind hearted soul Linda. No wonder you are a bit pressed for time. I am amazed you have managed to make such lovely cards in such limited time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pieces Linda. You are doing such a wonderful job, love and caring is the greatest gift of all. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful artwork. Your Uncle is a very lucky man to have you in his life. Its hard to be a caregiver and balance your own life too. Giving is the spirit of Christmas and you are an amazing woman to step up when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your uncle is so lucky to have you to help him, so many old people have no-one.
    I like your December decorations page, it should be a relaxing task to paint it, and your jolly cards are happy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely xmas creations and you are a gem to be helping your relatives ~ You understand the aging process and give love where it is needed and you will thus receive even more your self ~ People as you know are important ~ the 'things' will get done ~ xoxoxox

    Happy Weekend,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I love that pretty face and that cheerful Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you can be helpful to your old relatives. Nowadays the old people are so alone and they need help of course. The Christmas is coming to you with them, Linda! Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely that you are able to help so much. Hope you manage to squeeze in a bit more arty time too. Have you looked at the Documented Life Project (free) for next year?

    http://www.art5academy.com/the-studio/the-documented-life-project-free

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been busy. Making some great pieces and cards... How do like Joanne's online class? I didn't take it but have been thinking about doing it online. I took a live class with her and she's such a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely cards, and it's so great you can help out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What you're doing is much more important in the spirit of Christmas than doing Christmas-shopping. They are very lucky to have you! Love your portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, great quote! It really speaks to what you're doing with your family right now and I applaud you for taking on the extra work and probably stress right now. It is so generous of you and I'm sure they both see how loved they are!
    Second, I LOVE your december page! It all looks wonderful - and festive. Now on to shopping - wish we could do it together - I'm in the same boat ;/ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are truly in the spirit of things helping out as you do, what a blessing you must be! Your art is always so lovely, great cards too, all the best your way!
    Hugs
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Linda! Betty and Truman are so fortunate to have you in their lives and that you are willing to provide the assistance they need right now. It is so hard for the elderly to give up their independence and I know this is a worry to you and your hubby.

    Your cards and painting are wonderful, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is wonderful that you are there to take care of your uncle. It is also good that you have managed to squeeze in some art time to refresh your soul. Love your page and the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Linda, what a wonderful person you are, with the right priorities. I am glad you were able to take a little time for yourself to "art". Lovely, exciting portrait. You are so clever with your card making, too! I hope all the relatives get better and stay well for the rest of the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your "I am blessed" lady is gorgeous, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful soul you are Linda...I often think the universe sends us these little interruptions to remind us what we should focus on. I am sure they are very grateful for your wonderful help! Lovely artwork I think it will be an amazing class!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very clever and creative. . . I love the Cards design. The art journal is fantastic. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is so sweet of you to help out your Uncle Truman. I think your journal entry is really lovely. Her hair is so fluid and undulating. Love this. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow Linda. You are doing just as you want and need to and what is important by helping your older relatives. I feel this as I read your words, that you are in the right place doing the right thing even if your more traditional decorating and making has not been done. Don't worry about that . . . what you are doing really is the best gift of the season... LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great cards, Linda! Thank you for sharing your holiday fun with us for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle
    http://www.michellezerull.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, again! Thanks for the heads up re: my win on Becky's blog. She had e-mailed me and I was SO thrilled to have won.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very sweet cards! Looking forward to seeing the calendar spread colors -- looks like a lovely start!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your December calendar page . . . what a great idea.
    I can not wait to see it when it's all filled in :)
    Have a sweet week.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Linda, your Christmas spirit is full! Taking care of your uncle is such a blessing for him and for you. Christmas is all about family, friends, and LOVE. Your journal is lovely and so is your amazing young woman!
    Thank you for sharing your inspirational experience : )
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  29. Charming approach *and* plan for your daily December journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Dear Friend ~
    Sending healing wishes ...
    your relatives are lucky to have you there for them.
    Thank you for sharing your artwork...
    that is one beautiful blessed lady you created!
    Take care dear one
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful work! Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry your elderly relatives have been unwell. They're very fortunate to have such a caring beehive. I love these Christmas cards you've made& the portait is fab. Merry Christmas if I'm not talking to you again before then.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful girl! I love the graphite drawing. It looks like a handmade stamp, which I think makes it so cool! Isn't it just wonderful to take art classes? Looking forward to seeing your work for Tam's class.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!