Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Springtime is Getting a Bit Closer!

  For the first time in a LONG time we are getting temperatures in the upper forties all week and that means those piles of snow are melting! Oh, happy day! Fingers crossed it lasts through this weekend because hubby and I have special dinner plans Saturday, and on Sunday in town it's going to be a St. Patrick's day celebration with a parade, a "best legs in a kilt" contest and lots of other fun things, good food and of course Guinness! Last year we watched the parade and all from the restaurant window because it was so cold and snowing. Hopefully that won't be the case this year!

 With thoughts of Spring in mind I made this postcard:


 Image is from Retro Café Art, words are from ARTchix Studio, mica flakes are from Paper Whimsy. Other supplies-dictionary page, gelli plate deli paper print, washi tape, recycled dry sheet , Vintage Photo Distress ink (Ranger).
Linking to the Simon Monday Challenge Blog (theme is "B is for..." ), and the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #10 (theme is "Birds Of  A Feather").

 And for my friends at T Stands For Tuesday hosted by  Bleubeard and Elizabeth I am sharing this pic of what I've been drinking while in my art room:


 In warmer weather I fill it to the top in the AM and finish it by the evening. Lately I've been so cold that I only fill it 3/4ths of the way because I'm drinking more coffee and tea to keep me warm. I'm sure I've shared this bottle before. I think it holds 64 oz.


 
 This is an art journal page I made to replicate an old plaster wall. For some reason I have been so drawn to making backgrounds with this theme in mind. I did one the other week, and I'm now working on a third one. For this page I used a handmade paper that has some thick areas and thin areas which give it a great "bumpy" appearance. I added just a bit of muted color then adhered the tissue paper cherub and the dream heart clipped from a magazine. Linking this to Art Journal Journey (this month's theme is Things With Wings) and Mix It Monthly (theme this month is Angels/ Saints). 
 
 Back in Nov/ Dec I mentioned helping care for hubby's great uncle. Thankfully he's managing pretty well on his own and on Wednesday I am picking up his sister so we can check on the house and then we're all going for lunch to celebrate his 95th birthday!! It is truly amazing to me that both Truman and Betty live alone in their own homes and can pretty much take care of themselves. We're also celebrating my birthday which is on Sunday. That's also my blogiversary so at the end of this week  I will have a little something  to share with all of you to celebrate :)
 
 Have a great week everyone. I hope the weather is cooperating in your neck of the woods too.
 
  " Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn."   Lewis Grizzard

 
 


30 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely work this week, thanks for linking your angel to Art Journal Journey! Glad it's warming up for you, and have fun at the birthday party! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. such great pieces this week! Thank you for sharing with us at Art Journal Journey!
    Happy T- Day as well...
    AND


    HAPPY BIRTHDAY on Sunday to you dear Linda!

    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art on T Day--the postcard is really charming! Your desk looks so neat and organized. Great idea to keep your water bottle nearby. Isn't this week's weather great!?

    Best wishes for a happy birthday on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your angel does have an old world look and beauty to it that really speaks to me too.
    We visited a place in the UK and the greenhouse had the most wonderful powder blue plaster walls that I couldn't stop looking at.
    That giant mug is a good way to keep track of your water intake and you get arm exercise too ;-)
    I like the idea of a parade and everyone celebrating for your birthday!
    Enjoy ♥ Enjoy Dear Linda
    and Happy T Day
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your hubby's great uncle, and Happy T Tuesday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cherub journal page, there is something about the old masters that draws me in. Guess it is all the art history I took way back when.

    Hope your weekend goes as planned and the weather cooperates this year so you can view the parade outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday dearie, and blog-a-versary too! What a fun beverage container...maybe I could avoid getting my stuff wet when knocking it over!? L♥ve the Springy postcard and your journal page too...happy snow melting...and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your work is lovely, yet the winged cherub of dreams inspired a sweet smile ~ and I thank your for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthdays everywhere!!! :) I hope everyone has a happy one! I haven't celebrated St. Patty's day since the kids were little... How fun that you celebrate it as an adult. Love your journal page. Isn't it fun to get intrigued by something and just play with it until you've had your fill. I'm that way too. I'll get an idea in my head and run with it. Stay warm and wishing you a beautiful St . Patricks Day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Linda.... glad that you are experiencing a thaw!!!!

    Hope you have a lovely birthday.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must have been asleep when you shared that great mug with us, because I always wonder what people are thinking when they are in their craft areas and don't have a way to cover their drink container. I even like your choice of color, too.

    Sorry I'm late getting here. My computer went on the fritz this morning and I had to reboot. Just now able to get back online. Looks like there are lots of birthdays to celebrate, and just in time for the weather to improve, too. So, let me wish you a lovely birthday before the event, and for once, won't be late.

    Thanks for sharing all the is lovely art (including the art you made using handmade paper) and your great covered art container with us for T this Tuesday. And thanks for patiently waiting on me to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a fun birthday Linda

    A fine piece of art for this challenge.
    Thank you for joining us
    Love Chrissie AJJ guest hostess xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always wonderfully creative work ~ and Happy Birthday to you ~ xo

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your art this week!!!! We are having beautiful weather here this week also and it's so nice to get outside with out being super bundled up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, Linda! I hope it is a warm (relatively speaking) and sunny day for you!

    Your postcard and journal page are fab, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of great projects. Hope it soon warms up for you,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning project, love the colours and how you put it all together! Thanks so much for joining us at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is a definite sense of spring in the air on this post. And an atmosphere of happiness. Congratulations on all the upcoming happy events.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your happy spring inspired postcard, but the angel is pure cuteness! Looks like a lot of yummy texture in the background ♥ Conny Mix It Monthly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful projects! Sending warm wishes your way Linda :) Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely art! Have a great week-end, I hope the sun shines for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome postcard, linda... the birds are already in full spring mode and i hope you can enjoy the Parade from outside! have a nice Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful! I love the composition with birds, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great postcard. Love the pretty birds and the bit of washi on the side. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your postcard is fabulous. I love the beautiful image and distressed effect. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love that pretty little angel!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your bird art is wonderful. Yes I have been listening to bird song and feeling cheerful. Then today in Baltimore it bucketed down snow! Blast it!! Well hopefully that is the last of THAT. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so sweet! thanks for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. very pretty piece! yes, it is finally starting to warm up!! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!