Thursday, May 19, 2016

Journeys In Art

 Well, how is everyone? I survived an unseasonable cold spell but it has returned to warmer weather again thankfully!
  It wasn't a great day last Saturday before Mother's Day but hubby and I walked into town anyway to see the annual (15 years now) Mother's Day Sidewalk Art Show and had a great time! For my Mother's Day gift I got some art (I'll share my art for today at the end:):

 First booth we stopped in was just the one I was looking for:

 the African art by Grace Mugala and her husband. She wanted to show some attitude in this pic:) These paintings were all done by her husband so please click on her name to see just one painting of the stunning fine art painting she creates!!

 Hubby tried to get a shot with the piece of art I got but the cellophane covering got in the way so here is a pic of it:

                                              "Wise Ladies Dance"
 Grace was a joy to chat with and granted me permission to share here. I have admired these works for some time but never bought cuz hubby said it just didn't fit with our home/style. True. But I always regretted not getting something small. So when I saw this booth here again this year that was it! Once our son moves out  it will have a place right in front of me at my art desk in my once again art room:) It was hard to choose but this one kept coming back to me as it reminds me so of my very best girlfriends since childhood and the fun we have anytime we're together! I just know I'll be looking for another next year-or perhaps sooner. To contact her by phone: 484-767-5143.

 Some booths did not allow any photos at all, and some weren't so friendly. But here's another fun booth I had been dying to see:




 I bought a tile with the colorful bird in this last photo on the right. The artist is Linda Shay Gardner, wife of Neville Gardner who owns Donegal Square and McCarthy's Red Stag pub (which we go to quite often!) We know Neville well but I had never met his wife Linda until this day. Linda is an attorney by day and artist by night (and whenever else she can squeeze it in). This is the first time she set up a booth to sell her wares-gorgeous vibrant tiles , mosaic embedded glass bowls and such, and Celtic inspired framed glass pieces that look amazing with a light behind them!! It was so much fun talking with her and hearing about her special equipment and processes.

 It was a great day and I was ever so happy to have art instead of flowers or anything else!

 And now for my bit of art:

  A journal page first layered with texture paste then painted. Collaged with magazine clippings then spattered a bit.

Here's a detail pic:


 Linking to Art Journal Journey (hosted this month by Erika with the theme of "journeys"), Try It On Tuesday (theme is spots, splashes and dots), and Paint Party Friday! Til next time...

"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need."   Jerry Gillies


33 comments:

  1. Your work really is beautifully inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun art show and I love the piece you picked up. I know what you mean about waiting to get some space in the house. Once my daughter moves out (or back out in her case), but she seems in no hurry which is both good and bad. I adore your art piece for AJJ today. That background is fabulous and the quote is perfect. Nice Buddha too. Happy weekend! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful art - from you, and at the exhibition, looks great. What a fun day you had. Thanks for joining us again at AJJ, love how you made this. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic post dear Linda! Glad that you got such fab art -enjoy it! Your page is simply AMAZING! I like everything about it! Thank you very much for sharing it with us at Art Journal Journey!
    Happy weekend!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must've been a wonderful show. So much texture and so many layers in your piece! Great saying too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed a lovely catch up Linda....

    Sounds like you had a great time.... I love the art you picked.

    I do love the quotes you use.... love the Budha piece.

    I spent yesterday afternoon cutting up old magazines before recycling them.... it felt like I was getting ready to post a ransom note :)

    Hope you have a lovely weekend

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was shocked the first time I encountered a "DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH," or "NO PHOTOS ALLOWED" at an art show. Like you, I find these to be the most rude and disrespectful artists. Because I carry a camera that is quite large, these types of artists seem to watch me like I'm going to steal a photo (but not a work of art). What they fail to realize is, if I really WANTED a photo of their art, I would just walk across the aisle and put my zoom to work!

    That said, I really like the Wise Ladies Dance. It is gorgeous, and there is something about that art that draws me in, too.

    I enjoyed walking the art show with you. It's amazing how some artists make things that are so similar to what I see in the midwest, yet others are totally unique and unexpected.

    Your AJJ entry is fantastic. It's a very different and unique journey, and the background is simply stunning!

    Hope your weather stays nice so you can enjoy your weekend. We are still in a cold, wet, and nasty stage right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect quote (of course!) to go with your lovely art creation.
    Glad you had such a nice time at the art show and got some special pieces too Linda!
    Happy beginning of the weekend to you and yours oxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful show this must be to visit and very tempting too. Perhaps you shuold take a stand to see your iwn beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful textured page Linda and thanks for sharing your wonderful time at the art show, even better that you made purchases, that always adds to my fun! Love the beautiful African piece so graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the texture of your piece!
    It was also great to see the art show through your eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The show looks great, loads of temptation I think, with all the art displayed. Its a fantastic page with all the super texture and lovely quote.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a wonderful art market! I would've loved to browse around there .... The texture in your new art piece is amazing, and I love the colours too. Happy PPF ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for lovely artsy tour of the sidewalk art show. I love the dancing ladies painting. I am a big fan of african art. Your journal has great texture and the quotes are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, I love African art. So colorful and vibrant!Africa has a tremendous influence in my country and we call Africa as " Mother Africa".Love your page too.
    Thanks so much for your lovely words on my blog. Your heart is gold.Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great Mother's Day. I agree art is much better than flowers. I enjoy finding unique artists and talking to them too! Thank you for sharing some of the art you found at the Sidewalk Art Show. It looked like so much fun. I love your journal page. color and lots of texture are my favorite and yours has both. Beautiful! Have a great weekend and a wonderful week ahead. Rasz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning journal page! Thanks for sharing it with us over at TioT this time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Impressive journal page. Thank you for joining us at TioT.
    Happy Weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the quote in your wonderful page - great layers - gets to think about the deep things about life.
    Rike

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exciting share of wonderful art plus your own PPF contribution. Nice visiting here always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The show sounds to be wonderful. Love the art piece you bought with regards to Mother's day. The texture on your page looks awesome.
    Have a great weekend
    SusaN

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a fun day!!! I understand people not wanting the photos take what I don't understand are people who are not so nice. Especially when they are trying to sell. Oh well. I love the art pieces you showed and of course your art is always a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your art this week Linda!!! All of that yummy texture :) Looks like you had a grand time at the art fair and I love the piece you bought. I clicked on the link to her art too and it's amazing . Have a great weekend and look foreard to what you have to share all of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a great outing and you got some lovely artwork for your home too! I love your journal page and the quote and I'm so pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful show. You have such a unique style. So colorful and beautiful. Your artwork fills my eyes, which is the greatest compliment I can give.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You show us wonderful African Art dear Linda,amazing! Your nice spiritually page is also very well done. I like the colors and texture.
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Linda, Looks like you had a great Mother Day and so much better to have a piece of art to cherish than flowers, which just fade and die, love the piece you've picked.
    Love your art today, loads of texture and a wonderful quote.
    Avril xx
    p.s. Thanks for sharing with us at TioT

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely journal page and thanks for playing with us at TIOT.
    Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love those kinds of local art festivals...so fun to speak with the artists and enjoy the works. So much gorgeous eye candy, very inspiring too! So nice you got some art for your special day! Love the glass works...so hard to resist that.. I have such a passion for coloured glass! Thanks for this sweet journey through your weekend...and then your lovely work too! Great post!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I would have loved to come with you to go to the art show! Your journal page is just as beautiful as the art there at the show ♥
    I didn't join in on the fun last Friday. Sure hope to join in again this week
    Hugs,
    Michelle ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like you had a great day and what a perfect Mother's Day gift! So much wonderful art. Your journal page is gorgeous too, love the texutre.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous page with us at TioT Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful Journal page...and I LOVE the dancing ladies!!
    Thanks for the T-day visit and the wonderful comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!