Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Little Summer Break From Posting


  As summer is going so quickly I have decided to make this my last post for a bit while I take in summer fun and festivities with my family and friends. After this week I am going to limit computer time and even art time. There is art and music and food to share here right now though so let's get to it shall we?

 It is "T Stands for Tuesday" with Bleubeard and Elizabeth once again. Last week I mentioned celebrating Bastille Day a bit. It didn't end there. Soon after I posted I got a call from my Mom who put together a little impromtu fête to celebrate in total French style! Being it was a work day it was just she and I and her friend Elizabeth and son Geza. Elizabeth lived in Paris some years ago and always said it was the best times in her life. Yes, I indulged and enjoyed every  sip and bite of our celebration:

  French music was playing whilst we enjoyed baguette slices, croissants, French cheeses and crackers, paté, fruits and bien sur le vin français  -tchin! tchin! (My Mom's in the middle in the bottom right photo).

 I made two more newer summer foods this past week that I'd like to share:








 Black Bean Cakes . These were very easy to make and have great flavor (think cumin and coriander)! I make a batch and freeze some to make for myself when hubby is having meat.
         (RECIPE AT END OF POST)












    Tuscan Bean Salad-I could live on this!! Another vegetarian meal and hearty enough to be the main dish. This recipe makes a lot so you may want to halve the ingredients.
       (RECIPE AT END OF POST)




  I couldn't get this song out of my head lately so I thought I should get it on paper-in my journal. Of course I'm sharing the song along with the art :)



   I started on a page that already had yellow green paint on  along with some spattered green ink spray. I scraped yellow, pink and orange acrylic paints across the top to create the sunset sky. In keeping with using my gelli printed papers as in last week's pg. I tore strips and glued them at the bottom then loosely drew some waves with a crayon. Boat and sails also cut from printed papers. Words and boat outlined with a charcoal pencil and smudged a bit. Linking to Mix It Monthly for the theme of "boat/sailboat", the Simon Monday Challenge blog (theme is "hot fun in the summertime"), Art Journal Every Day and Paint Party Friday. A bientôt mes amis!

" We should not forget to enjoy the experience of daily creativity, whatever that may entail."   Diane Carter


                                                         Black Bean Cakes (makes 4)

 2 Tbsp. Smart Balance Butter ;divided        1/2 c. finely chopped onion   1 Tbsp. minced garlic

 3/4 tsp. ground cumin       1/2 tsp. salt      1/2 tsp. ground coriander    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper

 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper     1/4 c. panko breadcrumbs      2 lg. eggs, slightly beaten

 1 14.5 oz can unsalted black beans,rinsed and drained     1 Tbsp. lime juice

  Heat a med. skillet over med. heat. Swirl in 1 Tbsp. butter and when melted add onion and garlic. Cook 4 min. Stir in the cumin, salt, coriander, red pepper and black pepper;cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in the panko and lime juice. Place beans in a bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Stir in eggs. Stir in onion mixture. Divide into 4 portions and gently shape into patties. Heat a pan over med/high heat and add remaining Tbsp. butter. Add patties to pan and cook 3 min. each side until browned. Tip- do not try to flip them before browning as they are a bit delicate at first and may fall apart a bit.


                                                    Tuscan Bean Salad (makes 10 cups)

 1 c. barley      2 cans great northern beans, 1 can garbanzo beans, and canellini beans(approx. 15.5 oz ea.)

 1/2 green, 1/2 red pepper-1/4 inch diced            1/2 bunch green onions,thinly sliced

 1/2 c.  sundried tomatoes,chopped       1/3 c. prepared basil pesto    1/3 c. white wine vinegar

 3 Tbsp. Italian parsley ,chopped    2 Tbsp. olive oil        salt and pepper

  Bring barley and 2 1/2 c. salted water to a boil on high in lg. saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cook,stirring occasionally, about 25 min. Drain, rinse with cold water. Rinse and drain beans then put in a large bowl with remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

 

45 comments:

  1. Fab Party fab recipes fab boat ! Habe tun with family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Linda....

    Enjoy your break :)

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything in the French celebration at your Mom's sounded delicious, as do the 2 vegetarian recipes that you've shared. That sweet sailboat collage is so cool with all the blending of colors you did on your gelli papers. Have a blessed Summer break as you "sail away" with Christopher Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to give the bean salad a go! It looks and sounds lovely as does all the beautiful summer art in this post. Have a wonderful break away and enjoy that sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a lovely celebration...I can almost hear the music and laughter!
    Thank you for sharing your yummy recipes too dear Linda.
    Now I have CCross's wonderful song in my head...
    your sailing piece turned out beautifully...every detail!
    Enjoy 'sailing away' for awhile on your break...I'll miss you
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like black beans but have never heard of black bean cakes. Thx for the recipe. I enjoyed listening to the song (I remember it. sweet) while looking at your sailboat. I'd like to spend some time on your boat with that beautiful sky :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely art...sail away to serenity on your blogging break...and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh so wonderful to look at your gorgeous boat and hear this sweet music ! I can feel the waves and the wind! Love the colors you chose for the boat and the warm sunset it is sailing in! Happy to have you with us on
    Mix It Monthly! Have a enjoyable break ♥ Conny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your French inspired celebration looks wonderful, and I enjoyed reading about it. I'm sure everyone had lots of fun and good memories.

    I'm a big fan of black beans, and I have cilantro/coriander growing in my garden, so this will be a fun recipe to try.

    I always LOVE your art, and your sailing entry is simply beautiful. I can't get that song out of my head, now.

    Thanks for sharing all these memories for T this week as you take a well deserved break to spend time with friends and family. I'm sure it will be a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the French celebration and all of your pictures, how fun that must have been.

    I've slowed down the computer time, such a busy family time right now, so I usually get to T-day and post a J52 page. From now to September I will be hopping left and right with birthdays and other events. Come fall I will be happy to just sit at the computer and be crafty all day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your very colorful sailboat page! Your french celebration sounded like fun and everything looked yummy! Hope you enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A post choc-a-block full of goodies. What a lovely celebration of Bastille day. LOVE your sailboat (and Chris Cross), AND thanks for the recipes. Enjoy your summer fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the recipes that I shall definitely try out, I love vegetarian foods even though I am not a vegetarian but some days I just want to eat all vegetables
    Bridget #1

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurrah! Someone else has shared wine with their T post! Great celebrations going on there.
    Your journal page is beautiful. I dare not play the song or it will go through my head for the next week!
    Have a great summer and see you on the other side when the air is a little cooler.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sailboat is lovely. I love, love the background page.It is really beautiful. Great decision to enjoy summer and limit computer time. But hope you will be back soon. I'm going to miss your art.
    Hugs
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much to like about this post! Looks like your French celebration was delightful. I also enjoyed reading both recipes, thanks for adding those to the post. Your art work feels so much like summer.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your French celebration looked delicious! I copied both the recipes--thanks!
    Love your sailboat and now I can't get that song out of my head, either--LOL!
    Enjoy your break. See you when you get back! Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sailboat and the quote are really lovely! I just love your mix of colors! I want to try to Tuscan bean salad. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post, making me quite hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yum..that bean salad looks delish!! I made a bean salad with supper tonight. Sort of Italian in flavor.
    Have a restful and artful break...
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful post! Hope you enjoy your family time! Beautiful project! Perfect for summertime! Great photos ~ the food looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely to look at your sailing ship while listening to the music. I ike the way you have made the sea, a calm tropical sea.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super post, your Bastille Day celebrations look fun :)

    Enjoy the summer!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post, you have had fun! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful post and love that sailing ship. Enjoyed the music and that wine looks delish along with everything else;))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the pictures. . .what fun. Yep, I like sailing too. . . nice card. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely happy sailing piece, enjoy your time off Linda, thanks for sharing your Bastille Day celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The sailboat with the quote is Lovely! Love the shaded waters.
    Your mom looks Great!
    And the bean cake looks like one of our spicy snack often great with tea during rains :)
    Deepa
    http://www.deepazworld.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great post! So many fun things and great recipes :) I love the colors in your sailboat piece. Sweet quote!

    Tam Hess
    http://cardmakingartists.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Linda, thank you for such a lovely post. your journal page is beautiful. Enjoy your summertime and big hugs to you!
    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope you enjoy your break. love your photos and the sail boat!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your mom is a very pretty woman thanks for sharing your celebration!! Love love love your sail boat! It's so special...So pretty wonderful quote too....and I had that album in the 80's or should I date myself and say I had the tape...lol You will be missed but have a great holiday!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the sailboat piece. Thanks for sharing the bean cakes. I am meatless as well so might have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like your family was having a great time - those recipes sound delicious - I love bean cakes and white bean salads. Your sailboat page is so whimsical and full of gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I'll see you again in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks like lots of fun at your Mom's and will be trying out both recipes this week :) Love the art!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the boat art! It looks so lovely. Hope you enjoy the rest of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Linda! :-) Have a beautiful summer! It's good to really take in the moments with all your senses.
    Thank you for sharing the celebration of French living and for the recipes! I like to try something new once in a while!
    Lovely art as well!
    Happy PPF
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great post and a fabulous piece of artwork. Thank you so much for sharing your project and for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. hmmm, baguettes ..... hmmmm, croissants ... Sounds and looks really tasty :-) Love your boat sailing in the summer breeze, taking you to paradise .... Enjoy your summer break, we'll be here when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a wonderful post. Your family photos are so nice to see. I love your art and I make a black bean patty very similar to your. They are so good.
    Will miss you but having fun in the sun is more important than sitting in front of the PC
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  42. have a lovely summer time with your family..I have limited my blogger time now to just about once a week too...lovely photo of that wine and your family

    ReplyDelete
  43. Everything looks awesome! Have a fun summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I loved reading your post! My husband and I had an amazing chance to visit Paris a couple of years ago when he was sent there for a work assignment for a week. I flew over when he had 2 days left, then we spent a long weekend there. It was one of the best times of my life!!! Thanks for bringing back the wonderful memories. And I loved seeing your beautiful "Sailing" art work, too! I hope y ou are enjoying your summer and your blog break, too!

    ReplyDelete
  45. So lovely to see you all together and have such a happy and yummy party :) I also love the summersailboat and wish you a wonderful time with your loved ones :) ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!