Monday, August 21, 2017

A Bit Of This, A Bit Of That

  Hello there! How's everyone? Did those of you in the US get to see the solar eclipse today??
Well, I did-just very brief glimpses thru my sunglasses as I did not have the special solar eclipse glasses one is "supposed" to use. I remember as a kid watching it and no one had those glasses then either. We made little makeshift boxes for viewing. In my area the eclipse was mid afternoon and it was only a partial one but still fascinating to me.

 Speaking of special views:


 After the only day we had heavy rain at the beach and the sky began to change we saw this gorgeous double rainbow from end to end over the ocean-pure magic to my eyes. (Scroll down for the art)

 I read three books during vacation:


 From left to right the first two are nonfiction memoirs/travel books-of course about living in France! I thoroughly enjoyed the first one which also includes some recipes. The second one was a very fast read and each "chapter" was only a page or two and you could read them in any order. Some of the chapters were a bit boring though I thought, and hubby agreed. And surprise! I read fiction too:):) My friend finished the Mitch Albom book and told me I had to read it-another fast read that kept me absorbed in the story and I loved it! Of course there's nothing like sipping tea, or coffee, or wine whilst enjoying the books. Joining T Stands For Tuesday with my wine. Cheers!

 A few more beach pics then more in another post so it doesn't get too long:


  We (me on left, Lynne and Wendy) and our guys got a kick at how we color coordinated (without consulting each other) our outfits and our nail polish colors.


                                      Our Cabana Boys! (Chad and my hubby on the right)


 and our third Cabana Boy-and chef for that day-Chuck (aka Chef Rolando). I made him a special toque for the occasion:)


  On an evening when it was my turn to cook I surprised them with chocolate crepes filled with homemade whipped cream and dressed with raspberry chocolate shavings for dessert.

OK, on to the art. I'm starting off with two ATCS:



 Here are close ups:





 They began by cutting two 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" panels from one of the  background papers I made using Distress Oxide inks:


                                            I love the effects of these inks!

Products Used for the ATCS: Distress Mixed Media paper; blue card stock; Distress Oxide inks: Broken China, Vintage Photo, Faded Jeans, Fossilized Amber; Distress ink in Vintage Photo; Tim Holtz Idea-ology Paper Dolls, Botanicals, Alpha Tiles, Chit Chat stickers, Sizzix Thin Lits dies; Diamond Stickles glitter glue; die cut gear (ARTchix Studio); sewing machine and brown thread; Spellbinders die cut machine.

 Joining the Simon Monday Challenge (ATCS), and Try It On Tuesday (In My Garden).

 And for Art Journal Journey (theme this month is Poetry In Motion) and Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge 29 (Anything Goes) I have this journal page:



  I began by gessoing the page then gluing down some magazine clippings using soft gel medium under and over the images. Then I felt like going grungy so I don't recall the specific paint colors I used along with white and black. The number stencil is Faber Castell which I applied with gesso. The leaves and white dots were drawn on with a white Signo ball pen. Made some orange circles with an oil pastel. More mark making using white paint and my finger, then some spattering with black India ink. I wrote the words with a black Posca pen. I couldn't get that old 1960 hit song 'Poetry In Motion' by Johnny Tillotson out of my head so I put it to my page:)

 Joining in later this week to Paint Party Friday too! Thanks for bearing with the long post. See you soon.

          " Breathe the sweetness that hovers in August".       Denise Levertov

46 comments:

  1. Such wonderful art work, and cute cabana boys! LOL!
    The crepe you made, made my mouth water, sounds so delicious.......and of course the wine too!!!
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cabana boys and chef boy really made me smile Linda. Those are great photos and I can tell you had a really fun time with your friends. Those sound like the perfect beach books too. Glad you had such a good time. Hope its a happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to see the double rainbow and you and your friends at the beach. I especially enjoyed how alike you were all dressed, right down to the colors of you nails and toes. The cabana boys looked good, and so did Chef Rolando. Of course, your delicious crepe looked like the best part of any meal to me. Your books looked interesting and I'm sure they went well with your wine.

    Your ATCs are fabulous. I'm in love with both of them. Somehow you come up with fabulous art, even the tiny stuff!

    Speaking of fabulous art, that AJJ entry is wonderful. I was truly impressed and enjoyed reading about how you created it.

    Thanks for sharing your time at the beach, the food, the books, your wonderful art, and your wine with us for T this Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots to enjoy in this post Linda and such a nice variety.

    The ATCs are very beautiful and thank you for sharing them at Try it on Tuesday

    Happy T Day to you and your happy crowd

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of gorgeous art, one piece lovelier than the other. Thanks for haring the photos of your fun vacation!! Great food and drink, too. Have a happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. a nice summery post with some very beautiful artwork! and i love the double rainbow! happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure where my comment went so I will try again.

    Love the ATC's and the happy pictures in your post

    Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

    Have a very happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - what an amazing post Linda! I love all about it and I am thrilled about the lovely page linked to AJJ!
    Happy T-Day my friend!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. and thanks a lot for joining TioT as well - this is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I've never seen a double rainbow before - amazing! It looks like you had such a great time on your beach vacation and I smiled at the photos of you with your colour coordinated friends and it seems you have those cabana boys so well trained ... lol 😉. Your ATCs are wonderful with the oxide backgrounds and TH people! I love your Poetry in Motion journal page too 😁. It's so funny that you couldn't​ get the song out of your head, me too ...Lol! The page looks beautiful with all the layers of magazine clippings, paint, gesso, stencilling, stamping and doodles and it reminds me of the lyrics with the waves of the ocean, pretty lady and graceful movement from the grunge look you have created - perfect 😁. Thanks so much for joining Art Journal Journey again and wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your vacation must have been a lot of fun. I really like your ACT's, you get so much detail into such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linda!! We saw 90% of the eclipse... I thought it would get darker than it did.. but still fascinating.. what gorgeous ATC's!! Like the idea of each of you being chef for the day... great idea! Happy T day! hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos, you look like you were all having a fun holiday and lovely food.
    Fantastic art, and thank you for sharing it with us at TioT's as well.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved seeing the pictures of your lovely beach holiday, and the art looks very sunny and happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun time you had and loved that you and your girlfriends were all color coordinated ~ and what creative ATCs ~ love them and great ink effect ! Poetry in Motion is lovely and so creative too! Thanks, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picture of the rainbow, Linda. Who isn't thrilled by the sight of a double rainbow? I have a photo I took in 1999 (before digital cameras unfortunately) of a double rainbow with one end pointing at the steeple of the main village church and the other dipping into Lake Chapala. Very symbolic.

    Funny picture of you three girls. Sometimes I think women are telepathic with outfits. That's happened to me more times than I can count.

    Great looking crepes and very cute cabana boys. Glad you had so much fun on your beach getaway.

    Great ATCs. Thanks for the details on your backgrounds.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm impressed with your double rainbow shot! Trees have kept me from seeing such a full one.

    I never see folks post ATCs except for the events Elizabeth has, and I enjoyed seeing these.

    I haven't read a travel narrative in years, but I used to read them regularly. The French Family book looks interesting :)

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. You girls are so cute, and love that the guys got dubbed Cabana Boys! Really love the atc's , gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A double rainbow! That is so cool! Looks like you spent a great time with friends. Love the blue of your outfits. I'm partial to that deep cobalt/royal blue shade. I have a DVD the 5 People you meet in Heaven based on the novel by Ablom. I really like it will have to check this novel out. The backgrounds for your ATCs are so yummy. I've nver used the distressed inks. Maybe I need some? Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved everything! great art, rainbow, food
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love everything! But the chocolate crepe looks absolutely amazing!!! recipe please! Also I have lots of peaches, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful post! I love your ATCs and so pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Those Oxides really are fascinating aren't they? What a hoot to see the co-ordinating clothes and nail Polish! Glad to see that you had a great time! Love the journal page too! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful ATC, Linda.
    I enjoyed your post. :)TFS

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lovely journal page. Great background colours and white details.
    Thank you for joining in with our August challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful rainbow photo ~ Happy Day to you ~ ^_^ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful ATC's and journal page. Thanks for playing along with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy PPF and a great weekend! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful art and great photos!
    Happy PPF Linda!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving the double rainbow picture, I don't think I have ever seen one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed seeing the vacation pix, thinking how much alike you guys must be to wind up with similar colored clothes and toes! Your work with the distress oxides is beautiful. I love the way you added the depth with the images on top.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your summers are so much fun, thanks for sharing your adventures! Lovely art this week as well Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for a smile I got when looking at your joyful photos 😆 love your beautiful ATCs and adore the super AJ-page!
    Happy PPF and weekend 💕

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yum! The crepes sound gorgeous. Thanks for dropping by my blog today.
    Happy PPF

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such interesting textures on your collages! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Linda, your vacation looks like so much fun, and your ATC's are amazing! I love the backgrounds you made, and the fun images you chose! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome work with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  36. As always a beautiful post. I very much enjoyed reading about your vacation. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the 'best friends' creation' ~ lovely ~ stopped by to wish you a Happy Weekend ~ ^_^ ~ xxx

    (A Shutterbug Explores)

    ReplyDelete
  38. What lovely artwork! And I adore that picture of the rainbow. We had a complete eclipse here and it was spectacular. I wrote about it on my blog. If you'd like to read and see the pictures, I put it up on my photo blog. You can click on it from my art blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. beautiful abstracts at the end. No eclipse? You had a rainbow instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Linda, Great post, and by the looks of your photos, you've had a wonderful holiday.
    Great artwork and I loved the ATCs, so thanks for sharing at TioT
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. There is lots that is fascinating here, but my attention is taken by the way you make your background. The one you have made for your AJJ piece is spectacular, I could look at it for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just to add that I've pinned the AJJ piece so that I can go back to it, I hope that is OK with you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a fun week you had! Love that you fit in some lovely art as well!
    ~~ Irene

    ReplyDelete
  44. Gorgeous ATCs and so glad you enjoyed yourself! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!