Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Soup's On For Tuesday

 Autumn weather has kicked in big time here.So that means it's time to make soups! So for my T Stands For Tuesday peeps I am going to share a really yummy and easy recipe for Tuscan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. I could eat butternut squash roasted or as a soup several times a week! This is one veggie neither son nor hubby will eat so I get to enjoy every bite all by myself:)

                                                        ( RECIPE AT END OF POST)

 I have made it twice already I like it so much! But today I will be in the kitchen making a carrot soup and a Potage aux Legumes ( French for vegetable soup). These are new to me recipes so I'll try them out and share with you if they're good. These are all healthy versions.

 My lunch last week one day:



 OK, so I had the sandwich twice in one week, which is why I got a free drink (my choice-decafe tea) and a pastry for 99 cents! (Hubby ate that large bear claw not me-FYI :) I simply LOVE the Mediterranean flatbread sandwich! Have you tried it? Oh help me, cause just writing about this has me yearning for another...but I have things to do-like making more soups AND thanks to Rita I have begun organizing and purging one area/ section at a time and my goal is to keep doing something as often as I can. It is amazing what one can accumulate living in the same house over 30 years! Yikes- if we ever expect to move we had better begin letting go of STUFF, that's for sure! Thanks for helping me get my butt in gear Rita!

 Another thing that is helping me is Deepak Chopra and Oprah's new 21 day free online meditation classes. I've done them before and it really makes a difference. If only I was disciplined enough to do it on my own when it's over. Here's the link if anyone has any interest. It just began yesterday (Mon. Nov 3).

 Finally, this is the start of my calendar spread for November:


 You can click on it for a larger detailed view. For this month in JoAnne Sharpe's online class we were prompted to write something about gratitude and use it as our border. It was done is a whimsical and loose style. Then we were to make a gift box for each day in which we will write in a gratitude for each day. What a really lovely idea, don't you think? I just need to fill it in with my watercolors. Hopefully I can share that for Friday's post.

 Thank you Bleubeard and Elizabeth for hosting such a wonderful gathering each Tuesday. Feel free to join in anytime-Elizabeth always has such fun adventures to share, and everyone has something different to offer. Grab your drink and hop on over!

" Whatever I am doing, I'm in that moment and I'm doing it. The rest of the world's lost. If  I'm making some soup, I want it to be lovely. If not, what's the point of doing it? "    Sade Adu


                                 

                                       Tuscan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1/2 tsp. Tuscan seasoning mix (Wegman's)       1 Tbsp olive oil      salt , pepper to taste

20 oz. cleaned and cut butternut squash    1  32oz carton of vegetable stock

Parmigiano Reggiano -grated

  Preheat oven to 350 F. Add Tuscan seasoning, olive oil , and squash in a sturdy sealable plastic bag. Shake to coat the squash. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast 35-45 min. or so turning halfway through, until browned and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add roasted squash and half the stock to stock pot. Bring to a boil on high, reduce heat to low and simmer until squash is soft, adding more stock as needed along the way. Puree the soup ( I used an emulsion blender) to desired texture. Garnish with fresh grated parmesan. Enjoy with some fresh crusty bread if desired. Serves 4 (in my opinion). This was adapted from a Wegman's recipe.
  Note: I did not add any salt at all-it wasn't necessary. The roasting makes all the difference in the rich flavor. Try this using other roasted veggies- like cauliflower or carrots!

20 comments:

  1. It's been years since I've been to Panera Bread, and I've never had the Mediterranean flatbread sandwich. It looks like I've been missing out. I'll know what to order the next time I go.

    I'm interested in your veggie soup and hope you like the recipe enough to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and Happy T Day! I love soup too and could eat it everyday. I've been eating a new one, not homemade but still good. Linda, I LOVE LOVE this idea of the gift boxes, so awesome! I might have to do that myself, you know being thankful and November are my very favorite things. Hope you will keep sharing it as you paint and fill it up.
    Thanks for the link too, will check it out. The food has made me hungry, going to snack on some cookies now before starting my day babysitting.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your soup looks and sounds scrumptious...
    I enjoy making soups again when it gets cooler.
    Thank you for sharing your recipe Linda!
    Looks like we are on the same page again
    AND I've been saying the same thing to Mr Magpie (if we plan to move in about 5 years we need to get busy NOW digging out after not moving for 30 years...the crazy thing is we give to charity all the time but I confess my art and crafting has taken over)
    OK here's one more Mr M got one of those bear claws and I took one bite and said it was not worth the calories and not French flakey enough for me LOL...your flatbread looks tasty!
    Wishing you a very Happy T Day...
    Ommmmm
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUM, that soup sounds good. I LOVE soup weather!

    Very cool idea for the gratitude journal

    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm suddenly feeling very hungry! And the weather is much colder here too so soup will become part of the staple diet here at Macbiehill too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Tuscan seasoning mix. I do like butternut squash though and occasionally make my own version of soup. Your lunch looks good too.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Panera Bread though i've heard wonderful things about them. I've never had butternut squash soup either or carrot soup.....geesh am i missing out or what? :) It is definitely soup weather. Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soup and the sandwich look yummy Linda. Please do share the recipe for vegsoup it it comes out well-:) Thank you for sharing the link. I think i will take a look at it. The gratitude page looks lovely. Waiting to see it colored.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sketches! And the soup is one of my favorites!

    Happy Week to you!
    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe :) it was soup making time at my house yesterday!
    I love how you did your calendar pages with the 'gift package' images.
    Happy Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy making soups, and will have to give the butternut one a try. I'd be eating it myself also as my husband would enjoy a more filling variety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soup is a fave of mine. Thanks for such a simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The soup look heavenly!!! It's soup weather here too...cold and wet. I love that sandwich too. ... haven't had it in a while since I'm not working and eating lunch out at least once a week. May have to treat myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks gorgeous Linda... I'm going to try it your way next time. I don't normally roast mine but I can imagine it would give it a much warmer, stronger flavour.

    Great calendar pages....

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy T Day - soup is a big fabourite of mine in the colder months, I think I will try your recipe this month :o))

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks good--even the bear claw! I just made up some veggie soup a couple days ago because--yes--it is that time of year when you need something to warm your bones. LOL! That purging bug can be quite contagious, I guess! It really does feel good, though, doesn't it? I can't imagine 30 years...but then I haven't done a really complete purging since 1997--and look how fast that went by--LOL! I hope the carrot soup is delicious, too. Happy T-Day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you. I love butternut squash. I also love spaghetti squash. Oh heck, I love any squash. I really MUST try your recipe.

    I haven't been to Panera Bread for about four years, although I gave my friend Sally a gift card for there last year. Your flatbread looks wonderful. I suspect I would enjoy it, too.

    Thanks for sharing your sandwich and yummy sounding recipe with us for T this Tuesday. BTW, you put my my monthly calendar to shame. Yours is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quote is my husband all over. He lives in his own little world. Love your boxes on your calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love anything squash and certainly is soup weather. cute calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have copied your recipe, Linda -Thank you for sharing, sounds yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!