Monday, February 2, 2015

T Day Taxes and More

  Well, we got hit with yet more snow and freezing rain and rain and what a royal mess!! It began Sun. evening and continued through today (Monday) off and on. It was so heavy I couldn't help with the shoveling-poor hubby had to do ours and our neighbors' place (how dare they be in Florida???) before going to work.

                                             
  It really was this ugly and gray looking :(  My fear is the overnight freezing because it is supposed to go down to the single digits again. Already there have been numerous -some serious- accidents, and appointments scheduled for Tues AM have been moved up to the afternoon. Enough already!

 Spending more time indoors has me cooking and baking more.


 I made a new recipe of baked red snapper over a bed of spaghetti veggies which included carrots, red peppers, onion, yellow and green squash. This was the first time hubby had red snapper and I wasn't sure how it would go but he loved it! And not one comment about the fact that there was squash involved (which he claims he can't stand). Smile.

 I also made a batch of  Breakfast Squares:


 These are not only a healthier chewy version of a granola bar but also melt in your mouth yummy with no preservatives. I've adapted the original recipe which I will share at the end of this post. They freeze well and are perfect with coffee or tea! You can also find links to other recipes I've posted and photographed under the 'Recipes' category just below my banner at the top.

 I have to share something artsy too. This is a small journal book I covered:

 
 This book is for poetry and haikus I write, along with a bit of art. I want to share how I made this shiny cover:

 Start with a piece of tin foil. Crinkle it up gently and then flatten it. Paint over it with metallic acrylic paints. Allow to dry. Overstamp with some black paint and punchinella. Once dry I cut it to size and glued it to the book cover using PPA (Perfect Paper Adhesive by US Artquest) . An alphabet stamp was used with black permanent ink for the title. I then sealed the cover with a coat of the PPA. The foil is actually pretty sturdy once the paint is applied and the coat of sealer protects it also. I hope you'll give it a try!

 A big thank you! to Krisha who generously offered to send out extra ATCs she made. I received one of the wildflowers and dragonfly ATCs and it is beautiful! I love the pearlescent finish. You can see her ATCs in this post.

 Hopefully I will have gotten to the accountant and to an eye dr. appt. Tues. afternoon pending road conditions. Regardless, I will be making time to visit Elizabeth and friends at T Stands For Tuesday.
Be safe and be warm wherever you may be.

            " The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy."
                                                                                Catherine Charlotte de Gramont

                                                   
                                                            Breakfast Squares

            2 c quick cook oats                       1/4 tsp salt                    1/4 c vegetable oil   
            1 lg egg                                         1/2 c brown sugar         1 c milk
            1/4 c whole wheat flour                1 tsp baking powder     1 tsp cinnamon
            1/2 c chopped walnuts                  1/2 c raisins   

   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 7 1/2 " x 11 " pan. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until well blended. Scoop into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 min. Cut into squares.


23 comments:

  1. Lovely cover and thanks for sharing the technique. I have a blog once a month called Poetry Journal Monthly, for sharing this , and I've fallen behind, so I'll try to let you know when I get the post up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a snow fan I must say; other than on greetings cards that is, so I'm glad I live somewhere we rarely get it. Your book cover is really lovely, thanks for explaining how you did it. Thanks too for the yummy sounding recipe for your breakfast squares ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummie things did you make Linda!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please be careful on the road today, Linda, if you venture out to your appts. Sunday brought about 4 inches of snow here; I shoveled my driveway and cleaned off my car before it started raining. Didn't want all of that snow to freeze first!! Yesterday was just COLD and today it will be a bit warmer. I am definitely ready for spring.

    Love your little journal - will have to try using foil sometime. I do enjoy writing haikus but haven't done so in awhile! Thanks for the recipe - sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, that art cover technique is wonderful. I may have to try that in the future. It's been a LONG time since I made something similar using foil. I believe it was my Money AB. I crinkled, straightened (but not smooth), painted with acrylics, then when dry, ran a black ink pad over the top to accentuate the crinkles. Loved what you did, though.

    That red snapper sounds great. And it was perfect for a snow day. I feel bad that your hubby has to work in this mess. Should say DRIVE to work in the mess you guys have up there. Hope you get all your appointments run this afternoon.

    Thanks for sharing your art, your recipe, and the state of your city with us for T this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, that's snow! It's been years since we had as much as an inch here, and I feel all romantic when I see pictures. I know it'd be different if I were behind your shovel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are in much the same state as you--pretty snowy and icy, rescheduled appointments, and a bit of crafting going on. Thanks for sharing your recipe--I have everything in the house and will be trying that perhaps tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my the snow! I don't live in snow country and while I think it is pretty in pictures I wouldn't want to shovel it.

    Great looking journal and a new technique for me.

    Those breakfast squares look great. At least you can cook while the snow piles up.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, I'm glad you like the ATC and thanks for the shout out!!

    I LOVE red snapper. When the boys were little we would fish for them off the pier, they would only be 3-4 inches long, but what fun we had. At that size you can take off the heads, remove the guts and fry them whole and eat them.....bones and all because they are so small. Now that they are grown we only have snapper occasionally :(

    Your breakfast bar sounds divine, much like an oatmeal cookie......which are my favorite!

    Thanks for visiting earlier.
    Happy T-day......................................Oh, I do love the journal cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing the recipes Linda. The journal cover looks gorgeous. That is a lot of snow. Hope soon you will have warmer days coming your way.
    Thank you for your kind words-:)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are certainly being hit with the nasties when it comes to weather. :( That breakfast bar looks delish and since I had already decided to bake something today this will be it. Love the journal cover and I will definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks ferocious! Great idea to do some delicious looking baking and cooking and it also helps to keep warm. Hope things outside will soon improve too. Know just what you mean about things being very slippery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and love your book creation ~ lovely work ~

    Yes, I have about had it with SNOW ~ It is now 4 letter word to me ~ Spring is coming !

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well your hubby is not alone. I have never had red snapper either. Perhaps i will like it too. :) Which reminds me we have a visit to Joe's Crab Shack coming up this weekend!! Yipeee! Stay safe and warm this Tday!!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your little book and the breakfast squares sound delicious! yep, I think everyone in the US is getting tired of ice & snow! stay warm...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That book is gorgeous. Can you keep the snow on your side of the pond please?
    Those squares look nice and are similar to the flapjacks I made earlier. I tell you I have not used so much oats in one week!!
    Our work is having a cake day for British Heart Foundation so I made cranberry flapjacks (we have to wear red so hence cranberries!).
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Linda, Happy T Day! We have over a foot of snow, can barely walk through it and had to shoved so much. It did look pretty when the sun came out and was shining on it. Glad you are safe and hubby could help you and your neighbor.
    Your dinner sounds yummy, great that hubby thought so too.
    LOVE your journal cover, how fun to use foil. Looks great and I like the theme of it.
    Stay warm and safe friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cover! I'm keeping an eye out for one of those veggie noodle makers. The snapper looks delicious. Hope all goes well with the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ice is never good, but I'm jealous of your snow. The breakfast squares is a great idea. Lovely book cover!! Happy very late T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy you all are getting socked.
    Hope you got to take care of what you needed to and are now warm and cozy inside.
    Thank you for sharing that yummy breakfast bar recipe ♥
    along with that lovely lovely book cover.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just adore you! Lovely post - wanna try those breakfast bars now ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful pictures, I love this food !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!