Monday, July 2, 2012

Art Journal Everyday and the Kathryn Wheel Calendar Project

   As some of you already know I have been participating in Julie Balzer's Art Journal Everyday project on her blog (which we actually link to once a week). For those of you who aren't familiar with it here's the link to Julie's blog. Anyone can jump in at any time and it isn't necessary to play each week, however, it's a nice incentive to create and journal, along with a way to share with others and get inspired by others as well.

   The 366 Calendar Project at Kate Crane's blog, the Kathryn Wheel is similar. Kate began this project a few years ago but I only discovered it just in time to begin this year with January. I am such a fan of this project as it is a great way to get some art and creativity in, along with a way to record little bits of each day. You can see my Jan., Feb pages at my Flickr photostream (see sidebar at right for link) and from March on, here on my blog. I've already purchased a larger journal for next year as this one is almost full and also a bit small. Again, anyone is welcome to join at anytime for as long as one wishes. Kate sets up a linky tool on the first of each month so you can post your links of your completed prev. month's pages and the start of the current month. My favorite part is visiting as many links as I can-the creative calendar spreads are just amazing!!

For Art Journal Everyday:



  This is only a background for some journaling I'm planning to do at a later date. Right now I'm preparing spreads  ahead of time as I will be spending alot of days at the beach over the course of the summer and won't be able to take along as many materials and products as I'd like to use. I simply used some Tim Holtz masks and sprayed the pages with a few spray inks. I found these two magazine clippings right next to each other in my envelope so onto the page they went. It acually makes me happy just the way it is.

 This is my finished June calendar spread:



   As you can see I don't have much room for adding any images but I usually can manage a few small ones like these images which I got from ARTchix Studio (with the exception of the bird). You can read more about my background on this post.



  This is the base for my July calendar pages:



   I used acrylic paint to create the French flag background. For this month I chose a patriotic theme to represent both my American and French citizenship/heritage. This works out perfectly as both flags are the same colors and their independence days are both this month. Some star stamp images were used repeatedly even tho most of it will be covered up.

   And here's the spread ready to go:

  
   The month and days of the week foam stamp set is Magenta. I've had these a long time so I'm not even sure they sell this set any longer. I don't usually add any other stamping or clip art etc. until the month is almost over.

   On a final note- remember the prayer flags I've made and posted about here and here? Well, if you've had any inkling to give it a try please do sign up for my friend Lenna Andrews new Prayer Flag Swap on her Creative Swaps blog!! Lenna is very generous with her informative PDFs, suggestions, techniques and photos. Three more reasons to join the swap-you don't have to be able to sew, it's a 3 for 3 swap which is absolutely doable, and it's not due until Sept.15th!! So wadda you waiting for??? Hope to see you there!

  Thanks so much for stopping by.

         "Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art." Leonardo da Vinci

 

18 comments:

  1. What a lot of effort you've put into that great calendar. LOVE the red/white/blue pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pages, your July pages are very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy spray background and I especially love your sunshiney happy June pages. Have a fun July

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful composition, like a poem, with excellent color combination. Delicious art journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pages you have made, each one is different and so individual. Your patriotic July is a great idea, love the bold colours! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Your pages are amazing - rich, vibrant colours with stunning results :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your page, clean simple and meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to see you're doing the prayer flags too! I'm working on mine at the moment. Love your journalling too. Kate apparently teaches at the Art from the Heart (www.afth.co.uk) shop in Harrogate where I send a wonderful although very expensive time last September! Didn't see her but oh, the gorgeous goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pages, beautiful vibrant colours, just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, you did a great job in combining both indepence days! way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Art Journal page. I have never tried masks and spray paints. Your page is inspiring me to try them. I liked the Calendar Project. Your spreads look great.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pages and I love what done with Tim mask.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning pages! I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful to see your calendar and journal pages, linda! ooh la la for the french flag background. Thanks too for the mention of my prayer flag swap. We have a great group, but there is room for more! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh love your July pages, love all your pages really :-). No, REALLY, get off the beach and stay home! Why should you be able to enjoy days at the beach while I'm building an ark here to deal with all this rain, rain, rain! Thankfully we're quite high up just here so (hopefully) no chance of flooding unlike many areas in the country :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all so fun and fabulous Linda! Makes me want to try journaling again! I hope you are keeping cool - sure has been a horrid week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great journals you've made. I love the June happiness journal. It makes me happy just looking at it. I've been making art travel journal on a children's atlas. Fun to mix maps and pictures into the journal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops! Here I am sneaking in at last minute! Well, it’s still July isn’t it?! Wondeeful pages - I love how you incorporated the colours of the flag(s). Well done for keeping up so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!