Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Little Bit of Art, a Lot of Healing

  Well, what a week it has been! I typically post to share my art and love of creating and don't get into health issues. However, this time I'll let you in on my current status. For several weeks now I have been trying to alleviate a flare up of my spondylosis and osteo -arthritis by taking OTC ibuprofen, applying moist heat, stretching , etc. And then overnight last week it worsened-terribly. Nothing gave me relief. My dr. wasn't in so I waited til the next morning and called. Thankfully she saw me despite a FULL schedule. When she saw me she understood. So, I am now on some heavy duty meds temporarily because I developed an acute flare up. She knows how I feel about taking meds but I also trust her implicitly-and to be honest, I would have taken anything for relief! I am also wearing a cervical collar to keep pressure off my neck. As of today, it's slowly getting better. Anyone who has either of these diagnoses can understand. I am very lucky though to only have a flare up once in awhile-and very rarely to this extent. It makes me feel even more empathetic for those who suffer more often. And it was killing me just as much not to be able to create. But I did manage to get a bit in. Earlier today I did a few quick sketches and finished a journal page, and it felt good!

 This one was sketched on watercolor paper using a Stabilo pencil and then gone over a bit with a wet brush. Looks like I was channeling Modigliani again:)

 

 The above two were quickly sketched very loosely on notebook paper with a pen. I have never done this before and have learned that it's really not so scary after all. This was a practice Christy Tomlinson suggested before creating her project in the Radiant Faces online class I'm taking. When I wasn't able to art I watched more of the class videos. Anyone taking this class? It is PACKED with vids, PDFs, painted faces projects, and detailed instruction! You can click on the link at the top on the sidebar for more info. Linking these sketches to Art It Friday-Show Your Face.

 This journal page was inspired by two art challenges for the month of May- Art Journal Journey (theme is "the sea"), and Mix It Monthly (theme is "a happy couple") :


  I forgot to take a pic of the original background but the page was covered with a deli paper gelli plate print. You can see the pattern in the seahorses. I drew the images on the page using a Pitt pen. I found the template online and then also made a reverse image. Then the remaining background was painted in with several colors of watered down blue and teal. Seaweed was painted in using a very small brush. Images were edged with charcoal pencil and smudged. Drew in hearts with a Signo uni-ball red pen. Wrote words with a  Faber Castell Pitt artist pen (big brush). It was the first time I used this pen and I love it!

 Linking also to Art Journal Every Day and Paint Party Friday.

 And for my T Stands for Tuesday friends ( I know, I did things a bit backwards this week:) -


 This was the dessert I made for Mother's Day. Although I don't eat much dessert I cannot resist a slice of homemade sponge cake topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I make this fairly often for a dessert throughout summer because it is such a hit! Know why? Homemade whipped cream baby! It is so easy to make that I never buy whipped cream. And yes, I'm going to share the recipe (below) and do hope you give it a try.

 Thanks for stopping in for a visit and for your thoughtful comments. Here's to art and healing!

                    "Healing yourself is connected to healing with others."    Yoko Ono


                                                   Whipped (Chantilly) Cream

  2 Tbsp. cold water      1 tsp. unflavored gelatin     2 c. whipping cream      4 Tbsp. sugar

 Combine cold water and gelatin in glass measuring cup. Place cup in a saucepan of boiling water. Cook and stir 1 min. or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Beat whipping cream and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer while gradually drizzling the gelatin over. Beat well until stiff peaks form.
Note- the gelatin adds stability to the cream allowing it to stand up well in the summer.

  



49 comments:

  1. Art and healing sounds nice...great sketches. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very sorry to hear you have been suffering dear Linda.
    I am not a meds person either but there are times when there is no other choice.
    Hope you are feeling much much better very soon.
    Your artwork certainly is special and fun to see.
    Real whipped cream is such a treat.
    Happy to read below that you had a nice Mother's Day.
    Wonderful seahorses too!
    Happy T Day to you.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So to hear you have been having such issues. At least there is medication to alleviate or help you through the worst. I'm not big on taking medicine either, but sometimes it is the smart thing to do.

    I really adore those seahorses and I'd eat a slice of that cake any
    day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, and thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey. Sorry about your flare up, I know how that is, and hope you soon feel better! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sketches look great. Sorry hear you're in pain...
    You dessert looked awesome! Can't go wrong with strawberry shortcake and whipped cream. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found some relief. Pain meds are such a blessing!

    And home-made whipped cream is also a blessing :) It's not anything like that canned stuff. Your dessert puts me in the mood for strawberry shortcake while the berries are still available fresh locally. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes meds are a MUST, and it sounds like these are giving you a bit of relief, if only temporary. I hope your condition improves soon.

    They say art heals, and your lovely art is stunning, especially the sea horses. I adore them.

    And I thin strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream is an art, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us for T this Tuesday. Please get better SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear that you feel so bad Linda! Hope the meds help you and you feel better soon!
    Wonderful faces and a wonderful page for Art Journal Journey♥♥♥ Thank's a lot Linda!
    Yummie dessert!
    Feel better soon!
    Happy T-Day as well!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your health issues, Linda. It sounds awful and I hope things are improving niw. But it looks like you're not letting it get you down and are still creating wonderful art to look at and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you continue to feel better...the arthritis 'club' in our family has been in a lot of pain with the barometer and weather changes! Sometimes you just gotta have meds! Glad you got to make some art--it is lovely! and the seahorses are adorable. Now I want cake and strawberries...thanks for the recipe. The gelatin is a new-to-me idea that sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your flare up....having arthritis in my hands...knees and other "old" joints I understand.......but I know you are in much more pain than I can ever imagine. I am surprised you could even do some sketching, and wonderful art it really is.
    Sending prayers that you continue to feel better each moment of each day.
    Thank you for the birthday wishes.
    Happy T-day and thanks for the recipe.....I would have never, in a million years, thought to put gelatin in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you are getting some relief. A terrible problem to have to deal with. Your seahorses are great...and that sponge...to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear ~ am sending you lots of distant healing reiki energy ~ be well ~ I absolutely love your seahorses ~ beautiful sketch also ~ Grand art work!

    Happy and healing week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are feeling some relief about now and hope the symptoms stabilise for another long while and you get to enjoy your creating again and we get to enjoy viewing it.
    Your seahorses are a delight to behold and thank you for the recipe for that delicious sounding cream.
    Thank you also for your lovely comment on my post too. I'm so glad you like the doodled tag, it was fun to create. I love my new neon gel pens.
    Happy T Day Linda {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I deal with OA, fibro, and a variety of additional painful little side issues. I have degenerative spine in my lower back, too. So, I can empathize with you. So sorry you were feeling so horrible!! I hope the medication will take the edge off and give you some relief...turn things around a bit. *gentle hugs*

    Looks like you are enjoying the face class--and that sponge cake looks delicious!! Happy T-Day! Take it easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry you are suffering at the moment Linda although pleased to see your artwork is getting you through what must be an awful time. Your little sea horses are such fun. They are such beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your happy seahorses are lovely in their blue sea.
    Love your ladies too, especially the first one, she has such a lovely expression.
    Sorry to hear you have been having health problems, hope you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Hope you're feeling better and that your flare up clears soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry that you've had such a bad flare up. So happy that the meds are giving you the relief you need and you can get back to living. The art is great ♥♥♥♥ Sending healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful seahorses page! And fabulous faces too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear you've been feeling so bad....

    Glad you managed to do some 'arting' ..... omg that dessert looks delicious :)

    Get well soon

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous projects and a yummy cake!

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you are feeling better, Linda. Your drawings and art journal page are fabulous. n:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Linda. Sorry about your pain. I know the feeling as I live with it daily. Arthritis of the knees and fingers. Hope you are better soon. The cake looks selfish and your pieces are always awesome. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant your cake looks delish! not selfish. haha

      Delete
  25. wishing you a speedy recovery from your flare up..I like the last face as its full of emotion via the eyes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry to hear you're in pain. I love your seahorses, how very cute they are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. so sorry to hear you've been in such pain. You managed to create some beautiful things though. I love your sketches, especially the loose ones with pen. Hope you'll soon feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super seahorses. Feel better soon. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was sorry to hear that you've been in so much pain, Linda. I do hope this flare-up is soon completely gone and that you will be feeling your old self again. Your work is lovely. Those faces are so beautiful and the second one reminds me of a Picasso sketch of Francoise Gilot. Get well soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. lovely work, lovely dessert! And most importantly, I hope the arthritis goes into remission soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. First off I am sending healing love and light to you my dear... You are in my thoughts and heart!! Hoping you see some recovery soon... I know you're the type has researched everything possible online to find a natural relief...glad you got help!! Funny how the first face emotes how you must be feeling... great images despite your pain...and love by the sea piece too!! Thank you sooo much for the whip cream stabilizer... great recipe..We shall try it...also my very favorite desert!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice sketches, and, i'm happy you dropped by mu blog today

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Linda I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. I am glad that you have a doctor that you trust and who was able to see you. Hopefully, by the time you read this you are feeling much better.
    I love the seahorses and the message they convey. So bright and happy. Thank you for stopping by today. It always means a lot to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the seahorse love! And the faces!
    And take care.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So sorry you haven't been so well this week but I'm super glad that you have managed to do some art and link up to Art It Friday - Show Your Face (thanks for the shout out too!). I was looking at Radiant Faces after you mentioned it on my blog, it looks good, I'm super tempted. Thanks so much for mentioning it. Look after yourself and have a better week.
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hope your flare up has completely been healed and that you don't get another one! That kind of pain is just awful. I LOVE your faces and must really get braver about trying them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Exquisite creativity, beautiful seahorses!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sorry to hear about your health troubles, I hope all gets better quickly, my gran suffered a lot too with arthritis, it sounds like you have been in a lot of pain. Your sketches are great and I love these sweet sea horses!
    What an exquisite moment with that sponge cake and tea, ah such blissful moments!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So glad to hear you are feeling better and being able to create more. Love your portraits. Sweet fish!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great sketches, Linda! But the two seahorses so melt my heart! They are so bright and happy, and I love the pattern showing through! ♥ Conny Mix It Monthly

    ReplyDelete
  41. Dear Linda, I am sending you lots of healing thoughts, from my heart to yours. Thank you for sharing your lovely creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I hope you're feeling better, sweetie!

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hope you're feeling better already!
    I like your two quick sketches - they have character...
    Have a good and creative week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hope you are better, my friend.Love all your pieces. Thanks for the recipe.Much love.

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hope you feel better soon...love to see that you are in the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Art and healing do go together I think...xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Linda, I hope your pain is gone by the time you read this. I am not sure I could do any art with what you have. Your sketches are great,

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for the warm welcome to PPF! Love your work..(just had a peek through it) especially anything to do with the sea. What gorgeous seahorses...I'm so glad you are healing - there is something about art expression that helps so much...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!