Monday, June 8, 2015

Morning Cuppa


 Another journal page in my 9" x 12" mixed media journal. I shared the initial background in this post
It's the second page. I allowed to keep the cup as is -really because I didn't have much choice. And I'm fine with it. But just so you know-if you use spray inks, the colors will seep through no matter how many coats of paint or gesso you use over top. And some of the color will blend in with whatever you are painting over it too-which actually makes for some nice blending:)

 That's coffee in my cup, because I am useless until I have had my first one when I get up! Linking to Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday; along with  Art Journal Journey (theme is masculine/feminine); Mix it Monthly (theme is the facial profile); Art Journal Every Day; Art it Friday-Show Your Face; and Paint Party Friday!

 And now that the warm weather is here (at least for us in the Northern hemisphere) I am back to making more food on the grill along with lots of salads. So today I want to share with you this amazing Tuscan Bean Salad!


 The recipe (which you can find at the end of this post) and all other recipes I've shared can also  be found through links under the tab at the top just under my header.

 I am scrambling to get this post up because as of now (Mon-late afternoon) we are expecting severe thunderstorms with wind , possible hail and believe it or not -a tornado warning! Yikes! So, I'm soon heading out to take down flower baskets and put away anything that might go with the wind. Also shutting down the computer once the thunder starts rolling in. Wishing everyone a great week ahead. Oh, and don't forget about the Summer of Color challenge which has begun. Working on my entry...are you?

      " I like coffee because it gives me the illusion that I might be awake".    Lewis Black

                                                      
                                                                Tuscan Bean Salad

1 c barley         2 cans great northern beans (15.5 oz. ea.), drained and rinsed

2 cans garbanzo beans (15.5 oz. ea.), drained and rinsed     1/2 green and 1/2 red pepper, diced

1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced        1/2 c prepared sun dried tomatoes, chopped

1/3 c prepared basil pesto    1/3 c white wine vinegar        2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 Tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped         salt and pepper

  Bring barley and 2 1/2 c. salted water to a boil on high in lg. saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, 25 min or so. Drain; rinse with cold water. Combine all ingredients in a bowl then season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 11 cups-a great, hearty, vegetarian salad to take to a picnic!

23 comments:

  1. Now I'll be singing that coffee song all night long, while you experience my usual kind of weather. I hope the storms pass you by, but the weather people are fairly accurate these days.

    That salad looks wonderful, and I thought how incredibly healthy that basil leaf looked. thanks for sharing the recipe.

    I have not started my SOC entry yet. I used to be able to get it finished and online first, but this year it looks like I have so much going, I'm not sure when I'll even get to it, much less get it posted.

    Thanks for sharing this incredibly gorgeous piece of art with us for T this week. Thanks also for the recipe and I hope your storms are mild and your hail is nil. I won't even mention the other "t" word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your journal page Linda.... My experience with spray inks is very limited... so thanks for that information... I wish they could make some sprayinks that were permanent.. Stay safe... we were expecting storms this week but the weatherman changed his mind....:) Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coffee page is beautiful. All the colours make it such a bright happy page. And of course the profile is awesome! :D Happy T Day :D
    ps - the cup the lady is holding is very pretty :D
    pps - I hope the weather isn't as bad as expected. Stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great journal page, love the look on her face, and as I am just sitting here drinking my first coffee of the day I can appreciate it! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful page this is?! Gorgeous Linda!
    I so hope the weather is better than expected!
    Your salad looks fantastic- thank you so much for sharing the recipe!
    Thank you for joining Art Journal Journey as well- always a pleasure for me to see your name on the widget!
    Happy T-Day dear Linda!
    ♥♥♥
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely lady you created with her cup!
    Her expression is so emotive too.
    Hope the weather was nothing serious for you and that all is well.
    We too were in the Tornado watch and had some crazy wild rain and wind.
    Thank you for sharing that yummy salad recipe.
    Wishing you a Happy T Day dear Linda.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love Folgers until I got into grinding beans myself. Funny how those commercials are buried deep inside of us just like the tunes for the openings of old TV shows. Looks like a yummy recipe. Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the Expression of her face when she smells the coffee. i think i´m straight on going to brew my second Cup of the day:)

    (concerning the elderflowers: i know syrup and pancake-dough-dipped-and-baked flowers, and Liquor from the ripe berries. anyway, a very healthy plant.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bean salad looks delicious! And maybe Folger's should use your page for their add (I think they used that saying, didn't they?) because it is beautiful and fits perfect! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOOOOO, that bean salad recipe has my mouth watering!!

    The girls loved reading your comments, thank you for leaving your location.

    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great journal page ~ love it and another great recipe!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your journal page looks great! My favorite part is how the steam from the coffee blends gradually in to the abstract background.

    I hope that your weather didn't end up being too severe, and I also hope that you're having a good T-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I have that song in my head! That salad looks awesome! Thanks for the recipe!!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww can smell the coffee...she looks so beautiful and relaxed! And than bean salad! I have to try this out! Looks very yum!! ♥ Conny Mix It Monthly

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely page. I love that expression on the lady's face. She really looks as if she's about to enjoy that cuppa! Lovely recipe too. Do stay safe in the extreme weather. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice relaxing piece and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your page and coffee is my morning thing too!! Wonderful salad...a must try for sure!! We do something similar with quinoa, frozen corn, and black beans!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coffee and a recipe for a bean salad, what could be better! Love your painting. I am like you when it comes to coffee. Next Monday I am having surgery and I have to give up coffee. I think it will be hard, just because of my love of coffee and your page reminding me of my love for coffee and the old Folgers commercial, haha! Happy PPF and have a great week! Rasz #69

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can remember the first time I had a dye ink reappear after I painted over it. Panic! Once I learned what was causing it, like you, I try to use it. You did a great job with that cup. I'll be joining the others trying out your bean salad. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous page and recipe!Lovelyour post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a good morning greeting, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous art work, it's so pretty! And a lovely recipe too.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! I love the pleasure on her face, that is exactly how I feel for my morning cuppa :) Thanks for another lovely link up to Show Your Face and for shouting out again too! Kx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!