Monday, March 13, 2017

Handmade Flowers- A Tutorial

 Hi there everyone! Hope all is well and you are able to enjoy some creative time in your day. Thanks so much for all your comments last week in my first post as Guest Designer at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog. You guys are THE best!

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/


 This is week two for me and that also means:

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=8402
 The theme this week is "handmade flowers" and I have made two canvases showing off my tissue paper flowers (all SS products linked at the end):




Let's make some flowers!

  Cut squares from colored tissue paper slightly larger than your chosen size of scallop circle die.  Layer 8 or more squares and die cut. For my flowers I used anywhere from 10 -15 layers each.      Once  the cut layers are stacked use a tiny hole punch or an awl to pierce the center going all the way through the layers.  Attach a brad to hold the layers together.
Beginning with one layer at a time from the top, loosely pinch edges in toward center:


Continue until you get through all of the paper layers:

 Optional step: I wanted my flowers to be a bit more sturdy so I sprayed them with several  LIGHT coats of fabric stiffener allowing each coat to dry thoroughly in between. VERY IMPORTANT: spray from a distance changing the angle you spray from so as not to saturate these thin, delicate papers! It would be a good idea to practice first. I know :)

 For both canvases: Coat with white gesso. Repeatedly stamp Tim Holtz Letters over the canvas using Versafine Onyx Black ink. Dry brush white gesso over  top to soften the stamping. Splatter a bit using inks or watered down acrylic paints to coordinate with your tissue paper flowers:



 Finishing the Square canvas: Sponge some light green ink onto bottom left corner. Sponge black dye ink around edges of canvas.  Use gel medium to glue  leaves (die cut from felt) and flowers in place. Add Small Talk Stickers. Glue on a craft store butterfly to finish the canvas.

Flowers close up:




  Finishing the poppy canvas (well, at least I think they look like poppies:): I printed out my quote and fussy cut then positioned the words where I wanted them before gluing down. They were outlined and smudged with a charcoal pencil. The edges of the canvas were sponged with black dye ink. Lastly, the die cut leaves (cut from felt) and then the flowers were glued in place with gel medium.

 Poppies close up:


 Ooh I just LOVE these flowers!! I hope you enjoyed my project today and will give them a try.

 Simon Says Stamp is giving away a $50 voucher for the Simon Says Stamp Shop to one lucky winner!

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

 You have a whole week to enter with  your handmade flower project so come along, join in the fun, and do see what the fabulous Design Team has done to inspire us all!

Product Links:

Tim Holtz Artful Artifacts stamp set
Tim Holtz Occasions Small Talk  stickers
Spellbinders Scalloped Circle Lg. Dies
Spellbinders Foliage Dies
Colored Tissue Paper
Simon Says Wool Felt Sheets - Get Lucky
Versafine Onyx Black dye ink
White Gesso- Dina Wakley Ranger
Gel Medium - Dina Wakley Ranger

 I am also linking to Paint Party Friday later this week-where there is always a huge art party happening! Speaking of parties- how about a T party?

 Every Tuesday Elizabeth at Altered Book Lover hosts T Stands For Tuesday. The subjects of the posts that people link are so varied and always interesting! Just post something beverage related-share a mug, or a journal page, or a photo with a beverage in it, etc. and join us won't you? You may even find an art tutorial, you tube link, recipe, movie recommendation and just about anything else so it's always a treat!

 My share this week :

  Since I was alone this particular evening I decided to have a very small casual girls nite with my two young friends Kyra (who also happens to be my son's GF) and Lynn. I put out a nice assortment and we had a super fun nite listening to Irish music while catching up  and laughing! We even tried a special Irish liquor called Dream Catcher and it was so good! (photo at end of post).

 For Tag Tuesday (theme is "hats and headgear") and the Simon Wednesday Challenge (theme is "for a special lady/girl"):



 And here I was recently enjoying the unusually warm weather when suddenly this:
 We got 4.5 inches and since then it has been bitterly cold!! We may even be getting another snow storm mid week! NO! The poor budding forsythia and lilac bushes may be a gonner :(  Oh well, fickle March...

Have a super week! Stay tuned for another new post and challenge next Monday along with my project as guest designer at the Simon Monday Challenge Blog. And a happy St. Patty's Day too - sláinte!



            "Where flowers bloom so does hope."  Lady Bird Johnson




64 comments:

  1. Linda I'd like to thank you for the tutorial on making the tissue paper flowers... both are gorgeous!!!
    What a delicious looking layout for your small party of three for "girls nite out!"
    Your tags are so cool! One of these days I must try making a few of these :)
    As my hubby says to me all of the time "it can snow into April so don't get upset!"...but I always manage to :}

    Have a great day Linda~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you could have done without that snow! Love your wonderful tags, and thanks so much for joining us at TT, much appreciated! Your project for Simon Monday is great, love the home made flowers. And lastly, the food and drink look very good - happy T Day. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of al I love the background with multicolor drops! The flowers are so soft and light, great job! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic handmade flowers and art for Simon Monday Linda and super tags as well !The food looks amazing - oh my gosh- who needs so much snow in March?!
    Happy T-Day!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous canvases Linda! I love how you made the tissue paper flowers, so pretty and the backgrounds are perfect! Love the tags, very artsy and the party food and snowy photos are fab :-)

    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tissue flowers, Linda! The bright colors and beautiful background are so pretty.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that makes me wish I had a die for those flowers. So much quicker than cutting by hand, I'm sure. I love the two canvases you made, though, I applaud you on the tip to gently spray them with stiffener.

    I think your tags are FABULOUS. The first one reminds me of the statue of liberty, She's a beauty, as is the other one.

    When you lay out a SMALL spread, you lay out a SPREAD. I was surprised there were only three of you enjoying all those treats. I am glad you shared the wine with us, too. Very impressive spread that included a lovely amount of alcohol for T this soon to be Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy T Day and the buffet looks fantastic.

    So many things to admire in this posts and the hat tags are so beautiful

    Thank you for joining us at Tag Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are lovely! It's so sweet of you to share your flower technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your flowers...am going to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the flowers!! And they are so pretty on your canvases, I especially love the grouping of three together. And your tags are so colorful, quirky and perfect ;) And any liquor called Dream Catcher sounds like a good one to me!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hand made flowers look gorgeous, I really love those poppies.
    It was a great post to read and see your fantastic art projects.
    The food looks so tempting, I think you will all have had a good evening.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy T day Linda. Your girls night spread looks delicious. I bet it was fun. And those orange poppies are amazing. Wow. Hope you aren't getting this huge storm that we are getting. Isn't it yet spring? Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pretty flowers, Linda! Your card works great for our Special Lady challenge too - thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a beautiful post-and loved all of your flowers-very neat to make those.
    we turned bitter cold but no snow-spring next week-we'll see lol Happy T day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful post full so much great art... my fave are the two tags:)
    i really hope the Blizzard will leave you safe! isn´t it every year that we are in spring mood and winter plans a comeback... here we are not safe planting the garden before may...
    all the best and happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such lovely poppies! Thank you for the tutorial. I must give it a try. I love the quote too.
    Wonderful tags with headgear. Those stamps are gorgeous.
    Yes, the weather is so fickle here too. One day in t-shirts sweating in the sun and the next we get 10" of snow!
    I wish I could have been there for your little Irish party. I love Irish music. Well, the traditional kind. My hubby used to lead a 10 man folk band that played mainly Irish, but also Scottish music. He was the "caller", the person to call out the moves of the dance. In England the people usually don't know them by heart so it is a tradition that there is a caller to explain and demonstrate the dance and then call (read: shout) the moves during the dance. Great fun! I was always the one dancing the demos with him. I can't dance. He always said: If my dear lady with two left feet can do so can you!
    Sláinte!
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  18. The handmade flowers are so pretty, thanks for sharing your techniques! The background and quote are great and your tags are so colourful - awesome! :-) . It's lunch time here and seeing your spread has made me very hungry ... Lol! Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I think your mixed media tags are awesome!! Glad you joined us at Tag Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE the Poppies. With all the new snow you can at least make some beautiful paper flowers and dream of spring.......again :))

    What a wonderful layout of foods for the girls night, I wanted to taste everything! And how was the new liquor?
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely tissue flowers to feel like spring ~ love the tags you made and the art that the lovely flowers embrace ~ you are so creative ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. oooo, those poppies! Your spread for the girls night looks great, and I'd like one of everything please ;)

    We're having cold weather after we thought we were done with it, too. Brrrr.... but we only got a bit of snow. Nothing like yours.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your flower canvas are great and I love the instructions. Great tags too. Our weather here has returned to winter also :( lot's of crying in my flower gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the tissue paper flowers you made for your canvases, Linda! They are so pretty, and love the bright colors you chose! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  25. So very pretty! Love the looks of these flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your tissue paper flowers Linda!! And they DO look like poppies!! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. The flowers remind me of flowers I made with my mom years ago! Good luck with the snow - it's a coming (late this year)!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your flowers are so cheery compared to the whiteout outside the windows. The party food looks yummy and I love your square plates. Cute hats on the tag ladies. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Boy Linda! Your canvasses are both gorgeous with those absolutely beautiful flowers! I love those tags too! We have heard about the dreadful weather you are getting on our news! Your girls night buffet looks good although I would sadly have to pass on the delicious sounding Dreamcatcher!! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Linda, your poppies are wonderful! Thanks for the how-to and tips, like not to spray too close. Fabric stiffener is a briliant idea!

    Your girls nite sounds fun and the spread you laid out - yum! I love those square plates :D You've got me in the mood for some Irish music. maybe I'll go to YouTube for some Celtic Thunder.

    Happy St. Paddy's Day and Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your flower canvases are so pretty! love the backgrounds too...and your Headgear Tags are awesome! Everyone needs a crown and a fedora to finish out their wardrobe! I feel your pain with the snow...but what a lovely photo! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These gorgeous flowers are just what we need to remind us spring is definitely close, despite the weather conditions. They'll remind us that the real thing is not too far away any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh dear I thought of you when I read about the snow you've had... and to think you were so warm just a few weeks ago.... Hope your plants survive.

    Lovely variety again Linda... loving your flowers.... look very much like poppies to me :)

    Hope your snow melts soon

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Linda thanks so much for the paper flower tutorial. Your collage turned out great. Shame about the snow...I used it as an excuse to eat a lot of chocolate 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your handmade flowers for the challenge! Pretty tags and your food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. great tutorial and lovely project for spring

    ReplyDelete
  37. So many wonderful things to see here, I really adore your tags!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is so exciting, that you got to be a guest host at Simon Says stamp Monday Challenge - Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your paper flower tutorial, so thank for sharing. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So much for your toes up sipping wine outdoors!! Wow amazing what a week brings. We are in for snow this weekend and then warm Spring like weather on Monday! Go figure...the temperature dipped and it's cold today!! Beautiful artwork those flowers are so beautiful. Love your tags too! Thanks for sharing!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your handmade flowers, especially the poppies. And the tags are wonderful. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love those little flowers. So delicate and cute. As well as the colourful tags. Poor you, having snow this late in the year.... I hope that snowstorm didn't come!

    ReplyDelete
  42. i love the bright colors and whimsy of your hat tags! xo

    ReplyDelete
  43. Absolutely wonderful, luv the flowers with the butterfly

    have a good weekend

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Two beautiful projects and I adore the flowers you created, those red poppies just pop right off the canvas! Gorgeous work, Linda... x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love your finished cards. The tutorial is excellent! I have a die cut machine that I have rarely used, looks like a good time. The tags are gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great tutorial and such pretty creations! Thanks for sharing your tags at Tag Tuesday! ~ Karen

    ReplyDelete
  47. All great as usual. I had gatherings this week also and am exhausted though I loved everyone who was here.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Lovely post and great tutorial. I would have cried if I woke up to that snow. LOL Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful tutorial Linda! love both canvas! I adore the bold colors you used! Fabulous details too! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your flower canvasses are so pretty! Love the backgrounds you created and the lovely tissue paper flower. Great tip with the fabric stiffener!

    ReplyDelete
  51. your canvasses are gorgeous Linda...love the beautiful tissue paper flowers and oh boy I'm off to raid the fridge now after seeing your table of snacks...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love your beautiful creations and photos in this post, Linda. The canvas you created is awesome! Love the fabulous flowers and fantastic background! :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love your poppies, think I have to create some myself. If I can fins that kind of paper :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Fabulous art work Linda!Love the tutorial and the tags!The colors are amazing!Happy belated T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Fabulous canvasses, love the pretty handmade flowers, they really pop! Omg, that is a lot of snow! Hopefully it's all gone now and the nice Spring weather returns! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow! what a fun project. Those flowers! And your tags are charming. I cannot do hats for the life of me.
    ~~ Irene

    ReplyDelete
  57. Cute, sweet, funny, colorful and snowy is your post this time!
    Our weather is mixture of sun, rain, light snow, sun, rain.....which means it's spring!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love those tissue flowers. The tags are wonderful! The food looks absolutely mouthwatering. Yes, we got that snow too :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!