Monday, October 13, 2014

Change



   I began thinking about the word "change" as I see the season of summer changing to autumn, I'm putting away the summer wardrobe  and "changing" to fall/winter clothes. The produce in the markets are reflecting the "change" of seasons as is the choice of foods I am now preparing(hint,hint-recipe coming at end of post). And all that kept repeating in my thoughts was the Mahatma Gandhi quote- "be the change you wish to see in the world". So I took out my journal and created a page around it. The background was made by watering down some blue acrylic paint and covering the page. I used a plastic stencil of circles and wiped off some of the color in areas with a baby wipe. Yellow acrylic paint was used to add two flowers using the Flower Blossoms stencil (Joggles.com). A circle gelli plate print was then glued down. Heart punch out was added along with sticker sentiments/words (Cosmo Cricket). Words were stamped on the side using Onyx Black VersaFine ink (Tsukineko) and Superstar alphabet (Scrappy Cat). Linking to the Simon Monday Challenge "O is for..." the circle shapes I used.

 And yet a part of me is still at the beach. So, for my friends (who I have missed) at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Stands For Tuesday here is a photo of a typical breakfast we had each morning in Cape May:


Too much to eat for me so Bill helped me out with some of it, and I saved some of the toast to share with some beach friends (hopefully this will work):











 I have now taken down the hummingbird feeder at home but was able to capture a photo of the antics of a chickadee determined to get some of that sugar water (which he did):


 And now for the first fall inspired soup I made so far:

                                                              Italian Kitchen Soup

 This is a recipe from Wegman's. It has an excellent flavor and is a healthy vegetable soup. After making it the first time I have made a few changes in the following recipe. It does make a LOT of soup-good for a big group or for freezing. Enjoy!

 Looking forward to catching up with everyone! PS- if you're interested in Pt. 3 of my Gelli Plate print techniques and projects see my previous post:)

" I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters that makes many ripples."
                                                                                                            Mother Teresa







                                                           Italian Kitchen Soup

1 Tbsp. olive oil      2 cups of a mix of lg. chopped celery, onion and carrots (mirepoix)

1/4 tsp. salt         8 oz. cleaned and cut kale greens    1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 " dice

3 tsp. herbes de Provence        2  14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes in jc.

1  15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained        2   32 oz cartons of vegetable broth

salt and pepper to taste    shredded parmesan cheese for garnish

  Heat oil, mirepoix and salt in a stockpot on Med-Low. Cook, stirring 10-15min. until veggies soften. Add kale, stirring 5 - 8 min. to wilt. Add zucchini, cook stirring 3 min. to soften. Add herbs, tomatoes, garbanzo beans and broth; bring to a simmer. Simmer until desired doneness of kale greens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in a bowl . Garnish with the cheese. Note-if you want a heartier soup , add some pasta or potatoes.

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Linda and your coffee looks yummy yummy. Looooooooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of the soup in that setting,a nd I am going off to make some so I can taste it! might add some winter squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, that soup looks sooooo yummy! I LOVE the fall and winter, so I can make soup. I rather detest canned soup so I make a lot of soup in the cooler months I have never tried Kale in my soup, so I will be trying that this year. Thanks for sharing.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful an yummie post and I so like your Journal-Page.. speeks to me !
    Happy T-Day Linda!
    hugs
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything's better with kale. I remember when no one wanted it on their plate except me. Now everyone wants it because it's so "healthy."

    Loved your beach video. Yep, it worked great. I agree that was a HUGE breakfast. It would have been the only thing I ate all day!

    Your journal page was gorgeous. I must read your gelli post next.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe, your time at the beach, and your art with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely journal page, Linda! The soup looks scrumptious; thanks for sharing the recipe! I, too, love making soups in the fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The veggie soup looks and sounds delicious.
    Soups and casseroles (heating up the oven) are some of my favorite change of weather things this time of year :-)
    You and I are on the same page with part of us still at the beach dear Linda.
    Fun you sharing with the gulls!
    And your Gandhi inspired journal page speaks to me so sweetly
    Happy T Day with a little sand still between our toes
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking soup! I'm planning on making broccoli cheese soup today. Not as healthy as yours. :) Wish me luck...I've never made it before.
    Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your journal page Linda and it is one of my favorite quotes...... YES Fall soup days have started. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great your page and the sayings. Thanks for the soup recipe, it looks and sounds really yummy :) Happy T day--thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That soup looks delicious! Love all the art projects and the "happy" crab, too--LOL!
    Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I shouldnt have visited your blog before breakfast, now I am drooling, that soup looks amazing, pity we are going into summer soon so no more soup here just salads
    Bridget #2

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely journal page. And that soup look yummy as well. It's still a bit too warm for soup out here for us. But will definitely keep this in mind as it gets cooler.
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post Linda.... I enjoyed seeing you feeding the birds.

    The soup looks delicious... I'm making butternut squash soup tomorrow. I do love the soup season :)

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have enjoyed your lovely post so much! Love your journal page and seeing you have fun with the seagulls :) Your soup looks delish and also the two wonderful plates :)
    ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic art journal page! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soup is one of my favorite winter meals! love the video by the way, and lovely art work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Linda

    Thanks for visiting :)

    FYI an allotment is what you would probably call a 'Community Garden' We are going to be growing vegetables and flowers (for cutting) on ours. They are lots of work - but give lots of rewards too :)

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!