Monday, May 2, 2022

Happy May!

 


 May 1st is a lovely day in France where many give and receive cards and bouquets of Muguets de Bois or Lily of the Valley flowers. They represent good luck and I cherish the beautiful cards and wishes received from family in France. Wish I had these in my back yard. Happy May wishes to you! Lots to share this week so I'll get right to it - starting with the completed covers of my now filled kraft journal:






 I must say, the tricky part was the spine but I managed :). 

Here's a tag I made for the new theme this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog ( theme is "masculine" with an option to use Tim Holtz products),  the new Tag Tuesday theme which is "Add Some Stencilling", and the new theme at Try It On Tuesday (Use a Stencil)::




 Tim Holtz- Paper Dolls, Postal washi tape, Small Talk Stickers, Mosaic stencil, Linen stencil. Dina Wakley stencil- Shape Mash up. Inks: Distress Oxide- Peeled Paint, Fossilized Amber, Faded Jeans, Frayed Burlap. Versafine Onyx Black ink. Vintage label, German Scrap - ARTchix Studio.

For T Stands For Tuesday I'll share the recent lunch I had at a local diner with two of my best long time friends, It's been such a long time since we've been able to get together.

 Jo, please know that I visit your blog but it no longer allows me to leave a comment with my google account:(.


 Although this diner is only a few short miles from me and on a major road I had no idea it existed! We went at 11AM and it wasn't real busy at all so we enjoyed a wonderful lunch that lasted over 3 hours 😁. Because it wasn't busy we knew it was OK to stay for as long as we did. 


 The Hanover Eatery has a large menu selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The place is spacious and has tables and booths, is very clean, and our lunch choices were delicious. I chose a chicken Caesar wrap which came with fries and coleslaw. My drink choice was water because I already had my caffeine limit for the day and I don't like soda or sweet teas. The wrap is bigger than it appears so half went home with me. I know hubby will really like the food and the good prices so we'll plan a lunch date soon. Cheers!

And while I'm on the subject of food.... here's something I'll link to Food Wednesdays this week:


 I tried this recipe  for a Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed tofu "ham". 


 The house smelled so good- like I was actually baking a ham!! It tasted exactly like a baked ham and was so full of smoky delicious flavor! Hubby was quite hesitant to try it but once he did he was quite surprised at just how much it tasted like a ham. Only thing is that of course it doesn't look like a ham once it's sliced and it doesn't have the same color or texture. He'd eat it in a stir fry but not as a sliced meat replacement. Our son said the same thing although he and Kyra were also impressed with the flavor. I ate slices of it cold in a sandwich and it was yummy!  Final verdict- if they are hungry for ham they want the real deal😂.

 Back to art now. There was a free 14 day online program called Sketchbook Revival which consisted of two art lessons a day with 14 different artists. Thankfully the host extended it for another two weeks. Although I watched all the lessons I only got to the ones that most appealed to me before time ran out. Here are two of them:



 

This lesson was from Day 1 with Courtney Cerruti. She had us choose a watercolor color that spoke to us in that moment, then mix it with other colors filling your page with a shape (circle, square, oval, etc.). There is at least a tad of that pink in every one of those mixes! Once it was dry we were to draw/doodle in the shapes. I used a black and a white Posca pen for the doodles.

 This next one I really didn't think I'd like so much- until I got doodling and couldn't stop;).


This was a lesson by Terry Runyan on Day 11 called "From Blobs to Birds". We were to make random blobs of watercolor on the page which would then become quirky birds. I saw a few here but it wasn't doing anything for me... until I did this...


 Ok, now I could see more birds, and here they are:



 What fun this turned out to be! I will link to Art Journal Journey with the new theme this month (Birds) with guest host Matilde.  I'm so glad for these lessons which made me bring out my watercolors again:).

 More watercolor practice and lessons next post. Thanks for stopping in, have a wonderful week, and Happy Mother's Day on Sunday 💟 


  “Fair flowers are springing beneath thy genial ray, and a thousand happy birds are singing, all welcome to thee, May!”          Rosanna Eleanor Leprohon

43 comments:

  1. Happy May Linda, Lots of wonderful art here-love the book you made especially and these watercolor practice pages that turned into birds I really like allot those are really fun how they ended up.
    when I was a vegetarian many years way back when -my husband said no to tofu. I used to make the tofu and other products from scratch from the soy beans-allot of work. the ham tofu sounds interesting, might be good cubed in a salad or even in a potatoe salad type dish. thank you for the link up and sharing for Food Wednesdays. and Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy May Linda. You have lots of great art today. Those birds are lots of fun, as well as being very cute and definitely perfect for Matilde's challenge. Thanks for sharing with us. It's fun to catch up with friends, isn't it? Things definitely changed with covid. I also met up with a long time friend last week which was really nice to do. I hope you have a great new month, T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. The finished kraft journal is really thick and filled with wonderful art from what I can tell. It must bevery satisfying to have it done. I did some of the Sketchbook Revival classes as well and loved the birds classes. Your birds are so much fun and simply gorgeous! I also liked the cat numbers - did you do that one as well? Happy May and T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tofu is something I’m just getting used to. I tried a new tofu recipe tonight. My view is that meat substitutes are never as good as meat, so you should try to make dishes that have their own identity, not imitations. Tonight it was curried tofu, Jamaican style. Not bad at all. But it wasn’t pretend meat it was real tofu!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness, I love your craft journal cover! You did a beautiful job on it. I also am loving those birds! I wish I could find a restaurant I didn't know about that near us that was good! :) Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, those cards are very beautiful. Would you mind if I print them to hang here at my PC? The words are so fitting, too (a no I will accept of course!).

    3 hours, wow! Must´ve been a great time then! Yipeee.
    Looking forward to Wednesday!

    Oh. I started one online lesson and didn´t even finish that. Bummer. Work just eats me up atm.
    Love your birds!
    Have a happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of stunning projects!
    the birds a so sweet.
    great vintage tag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finished journal looks wonderful, well done! And the baked ham/tofu looks good, but I'm not a friend of tofu either! Glad you had a great meal at the eatery, it looks wonderful. Love. love, love your birds, so sweet! Happy T Day, Valerie. And thanks for linking to Matilde's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love your watercoloring! The birds are so funny. It's very optymistic page in your art journal. Thanks for sharing and joining my theme at AJJ :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The finished Kraft journal looks really good. I bet you are pleased it’s finally finished.
    I just love your blob birds! That must have been such fun!
    Tutu ham? Not for me thank you. I prefer the real thing. Tofu us hard to get here anyway ( not many vegetarians in southern Spain!) But I must admit your ‘ham’ looks real nice.
    Have a happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy May! I'm loving your journal cover, that's such a lovely layered design of colours and the words are so inspiring. That tofu looks good, although I'm not a fan of it I think you may covert me with that recipe 😁. Your watercolour exercises turned our beautifully too! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Awesome post and creations ~ your journal cover is fantastic and the messages are so 'right on' ~ Xo ~ will be back to comment more ~

    Wishing love and laughter in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Around here May 1st generally goes unnoticed. I like the French way :) I like those cute little blob birds. I don't like ham well enough to need a substitute for it. It's amazing what meat substitutes there are, though. Handy! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried FIVE times last night to leave you a comment and it wouldn't take. I even shut my computer down which erases all my cookies. That didn't help, either. After spending way more time than I care to think about, I gave up and went to bed. Looks like I will finally be able to visit you today.

    I did a four hour Sketchbook revival marathon on Sunday and watched the videos I was interested in. Only seven interested me, and that first one you chose I also watched. I missed the birds, though. And I'm not sure I will get to that lesson anytime soon, either. I love how you created these birds. Very clever and quirky. Thanks for sharing them using Matilde's theme at Art Journal Journey.

    You covered a lot of challenges with those stencils. I'm certainly impressed.

    I've never heard of a tofu press. I have no idea how to press it flat enough to get all the moisture out. Liquid smoke is one of my favorite things to add to any baked item like ham and baked beans. Thanks for linking to this recipe and I will wave tomorrow for Food Wednesday. Thanks for sharing this.

    I love your visit to Hanover Eatery. Your wrap looks good and I want those fries, Thanks for sharing your meal and your water with us for T this Tuesday, dear Linda.

    Have you heard of Rain Frances? She has Thursday art date or TAD every week. She has now decided since PPF is now closed, she wants to open things up. she has prompts you can follow, OR you can share anything just like at PPF. I thought of you when she said to let everyone know. She's at RainFrances.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention we are the largest city in the state of KS. Not sure what the new census is, but for 2010, the population was 382, 300 plus. I live just a bit north and west of downtown between two rivers. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  15. 3 hours in the restaurant and you only ate half the wrap! How did you manage that? lol Must have been good conversation! :) Not a fan of tofu... but everyone seems impressed with the flavor you put into it! Thats great! I'am blown away with those birds you made out of blobs!! Wow! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh your tag art is great and what a wonderful message ~ love the vintage look ~ Xo

    Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely art, the tofu ham looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely art the tofu ham looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tag looks great. The cover of your kraft journal is so beautiful, Linda. You did well. Those little circles are just lovely. I am so impressed that you made those beautiful and fun birds from little paint blobs. Amazing!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely tradition for May 1 in France. I didn't see any lily of the valley pips in my garden. I thought they would be coming up by now. I'm with the rest of your crew. If I want ham, I want the real thing. 😸The blob birds are so fun and clever. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am loving all your mixed media art, Linda. Your blobs to birds is fabulous and so creative. You have inspired me to try this again and let go with the doodling! Your ham looks very similar to a real one. It is always great when you can find a replacement that tastes like the real thing.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love your joyful birds. A great page, indeed.
    Happy May xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. A wonderful selection of art projects Linda. Thank ypou for sharing the stencils with us at TioT's and linking those cute birds wth Matilde's theme at AJJ.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. And if I didn't say thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, let me now say it. Thank you Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I LOVE your birds Linda!!! Lovely!! And your journal is fabulous. The words you have on the front and back pages are so inspiring! I tried tofu many moons ago, but I have an intolerance to it. My tummy doesn't like it which is a shame! But I remember only liking it in stir fry too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really enjoyed your post Linda, happy May to you too, and I love that they celebrate it in France with flowers and good luck. I also watched a lot of sketchbook revival but as usual had no time to do much of the classes, and now the Virtual Art Summit has started and I remember from last year, not being able to do much of that either, but maybe I can do better this year lol. I really love your blob birds page, and that tofu ham looks really interesting, though sometimes I try to stay away from the things that look like meat if you know what I mean, but I'm intrigued to see what it tastes like. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well I just don't know where to start. I love the art and I find the Tofu ham very interesting. Something I would eat but I don't think I could get Mr. M. to go near it. LOL Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh the diner sandwich sounds delish ~ and I love your art lesson and the fun and colorful birds ~ they are delightful ~

    Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day too ~ Xo

    Wishing you love and laughter in your days ~

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yikes Linda you have been busy, what a great and very inspirational and very tasty post!! I do love your tag, super stencilling and perfect for our challenge. Thanks so much for joining with us at Tag Tuesday!
    Hugs
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  30. That tofu ham sounds different, but I am glad it tasted like ham. It's so interesting all the new "foods" and ways to make items that there are now. Compared to all the traditional foods. It's good too because it opens things up so many different food choices. And I wanted to say I soaked my pot overnight and it cleaned up quite easily. Have a great rest of your week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are right. The spine of the book is always the difficult part.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous post Linda
    Happy Thursday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous art Linda, I just loved the birds. Thank you for sharing your lovely tag with us on Tag Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful art Linda! I really love those birds!
    Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loving your art Linda. Love the beautiful art journal cover and the uplifting phrase on it. Also love the fab colour swatch doodles especially the cute ones lol. It looks like you had a lot of fun. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. this seem to have been a great lesson. I love what you did with those colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pearshapedchris-don’t know how else to let you know that it’s me. Noticed I’m not the only one it’s happening to!
    I love your tag and it certainly is great for our TIOT theme, Thank you for sharing. Your journal cover is fabulous! My hubby doesn’t like Tofu at all(it’s a texture thing) so I won’t be trying your recipe. Sounds good to me! Making blobs and turning them into something is becoming addictive! I love your birds and I can see why you turned the page around. Thanks for linking to AJJ.
    It’s so good to meet up with friends for lunch and even better that you could chat for that length of time!
    I went out with friends last week and we too could stay without feeling uncomfortable….and I want to take my hubby there- it’s only a short drive away!
    Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your post oozes with talent and creativity. My first visit, as this is the first time I have seen you on Rain's TAD. I love your header ... just gorgeous and the technique is exquisite. Your birds are sooooo cute and clever. Love it all. Nice to meet you, Linda. Hope we see more of you in the future :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  39. gorgeous art all around! wow! thanks for linking to tag tuesday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your creativity is such a gift ~ love all your work ~ Hope you are having a wonderful Mothers's Day ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Loving your Tag..the background is great, love the gentleman.. Thank you for joining us at Tag Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the tag , so much of interest , apologies for being so late to thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!