Thursday, August 28, 2014

One Last Frida and More

 As the month of August ends so do some monthly challenges and for the theme of Frida at Art Journal Journey I had to create one final journal page before it ended. Thank you to Susi  and Valerie!

 You can see a WIP in this post. I started on a deli print glued to the journal page. This Frida was inspired after googling copy right free Frida images. I pencilled in the face and body shape then painted it white. The features were drawn in with a Med. Pitt pen then I used a combination of colors, paint pens, and acrylics to finish and embellish the image. Tissue paper circles were glued to the background. A dropper was used to apply Higgins Black Magic ink. Flowers were further embellished with water soluble crayons and uni-ball Signo pens. Paint markers were also used to add dots throughout the background. Linking to Art Journal Every day, Art Journal Journey, and Paint Party Friday. Edited in: thanks to a heads up from Joanna (Fiddlesnips) I am also just in the nick of time linking this to the Frida challenge at Gauche Alchemy!

 There is a new sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches:

 Here is my card:


  Products: lg. white note card (Canvas Corp); patterned card stocks (Mediterranean Café Stack- DCWV); Versafine Onyx Black ink (Tsukineko); paper flowers (Recollections, Prima); clear stamp (Sending You set-Papertrey Ink); bakers twine (We R Memory Keepers); flower sequins; rhinestone; Grand Calibur die cut machine and Floral Doily Motifs set (Spellbinders). Linking to Freshly Made Sketches.

 I also managed to get in a project for the Simon Monday Challenge Blog (theme is "witch kraft" ). I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and got these cute pennants on sale along with some Halloween stickers and a few other great buys :)

 The cardboard pennant is 2 1/2" w x 4" long- but if you cut 1/2 " off the top wouldn't these make fun ATCs?

  Products: cardboard pennant (Hobby Lobby); image (ARTchix Studio); patterned paper (the Paper Studio); Versafine Onyx Black ink (Tsukineko); hat sticker (Recollections); spiders/web stickers (the Paper Studio); orange glitter glue; orange wire; black "fun fur" yarn scrap.



  And for something completely different here's a photo of a "sunbow" my friend captured one day while we were on the beach a few weeks ago:





 Have you ever heard of these-or seen one before? This was my first time! It was difficult to capture the rainbow colors surrounding the sun but you get the idea. I believe it occurred because although we were surrounded by nearby dark ominous clouds, the sun shone directly above us. Magical in person. And because my mind is still on beach time , forgive me if I miss replying to some of you or I miss a ? you've had.

 " Creativity is an electric force that defines, shapes, and initiates new ways of being, seeing, and transforming the world."      Laine Goldman







36 comments:

  1. Another beautiful Frida, thanks, you have made me happy! It was great to see so many of you joining in. I have 2 more Frida pieces to post, and then it will be time for a new theme....Have a lovely day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Frida!!! I think I'll have to do another one too... before the month is over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty card, I love the colour scheme you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Linda! I, too, have been neglectful of my blogging friends. I love your Frida journal page and the card is very "fresh"!! Never heard of a sunbow before; I'm sure it was awesome to see.

    Have a great Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Halloween banner and great journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous artwork here Linda:. I am so happy about this fab Frida Interpretation!
    Just gorgeous!
    Thank you for another amazing Frida for Art Journal Journey!
    ♥♥♥
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Frida and interesting how the color palette weaves it's way through all three art pieces... I often do that.. really pretty! Your style is so evident!! Wonderful work!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Frida turned out great Linda!
    and what a sweet gift of nature too!
    Happy long weekend to you...
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evocative! So delicate and tender look ... !! I like the design of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work as always is wonderful, Linda. Your Frida is great with the birdie on her shoulder. And I am so impressed with the sketch art work. I have never been able to follow a sketch as well. I had a rainbow beginning and ending in my backyard in June. It was an awesome sight and I sent a photo to the TV station, which aired it on the news! This circle rainbow is even more astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your Frida...and the quote is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is so beautiful...Frida, the card - everything! The sun pic does look magical :)
    Deepa
    http://deepazworld.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous work Linda = your Frida page is very inspiring - love the banner and the pic of the moon is awesome

    x Hilda

    Mines up now on Simon Says

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful Frida page with so with such wonderful, bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Frida! I have heard of sun bow under a different name, think it was halo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That photograph with the rainbow and sunshine is striking! As is your fabulous Frida, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your Frida and folk art feel! I have never seen a sun bow before, quite magical!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fanastic Frida-I think the quote works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Frida inspiration and lovely card! The color palette is so pretty. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't go wrong with Frida. :) She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have added some more elements to the Frida painting right? She looks very good. I didnt get enough inspiration to try this month's challenge.
    The sunbow is totally a new word for me.Thanks for sharing the photo here.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful art here! That Frida is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A sunbow!? Wow, love it! never heard of it though, and I can't remember ever seeing one. I love your last, folk-artsy Frida, and that's a terrific quote to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have had a creative week! Your Frieda is great on the deli paper background. The layers really added to the composition. I have not heard of a sun bow but will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the pennant! Thank you for sharing your work with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your Frida Kahlo artwork. What an inspirational message. I love the bold red and green color palette. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm LOVING your Frida! There's a Frida vibe going on at the moment which I adore (I'm a huge fan of Ms Kahlo!), and have also just finished a Frida piece for Gauche Alchemy (if you see this quickly you could link up with Gauche Alchemy, by Sunday 31st August - details on my Frida blog post).

    I haven't heard of a sunbow before - what a perfect word to describe your picture.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. My mind's on beach time too - we just came home last night ;) I have never seen a moon bow like that before, but it does look magical. Wonderful work - I love your halloween-inspired piece and your Frieda is just beautiful, xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like your Frida - great colors. The card is sweet - and I have never seen a sunbow! Great picture

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love you Frida journal page, the colors you chose are perfect.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  31. So glad you got your link in on time at Gauche Alchemy :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your Frida is lovely! Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great collection of projects! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Linda, your Frida page is beautiful! I love all of the details and bright colours. I enjoyed seeing all of your other creations too - you've been busy! Thanks for dropping by my blog last week - it was a busy week and I'm happy to be on a long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! All of these projects are amazing! You have awesome talent for design. Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!