Monday, September 19, 2016

Finally Some Much Needed Rain!

 Summer like weather continues but it has been SO dry with no rain for too long. I sat outside the other morning just before the rain finally came...

you can see the dry patches in the yard at the top of the photo. Enjoying a piece of Gateau Yaourt ( yogurt cake) with my morning coffee.  This is a very easy light cake my family in France made all the time. The recipe is at the end of this post. Joining my friends at T Stands For Tuesday.


 Just had to share this with you as we all thought it quite funny! It wasn't even raining hard and one would think the birds would welcome the water but instead they treated the covered patio like a huge bird house-even hanging all over the lounge chair after I removed the cushion:)

I had more fun playing with the latest sketch challenge over at Freshly Made Sketches ( you can see the sketch along with my first two cards using it  here or on the FMS blog). This time around I made two holiday themed cards:






 For each of them I used patterned papers, images and ephemera from my stash in my holiday themed pocket folders.  These holidays will be here before you know it! Also linking to the Simon Wednesday Challenge "clean and simple".

 And for the Back to School theme over at Art Journal Journey hosted this month by Elizabeth of Altered Book Lover I have this journal page:


 The page began with a strip of alphabet paper on the left in addition to some text paper and washi tape. The page was then painted with layers of color washes in olive green, yellow, white and burnt sienna. The same colors were used with stencils. Black spatters were added. Vintage image is framed with washi tape. Love this Nelson Mandela quote. Also linking to Moo Mania and More for the alphabet theme.

 Since I am not ready to part with summer yet I'll be spending 4 days at the beach again -this time in the beautiful  Victorian town of Cape May , New Jersey! Of course I'll have photos to share when I'm back next week:) Until then, have a great week ahead, and enjoy the recipe below!

                            " Creativity is contagious. Pass it on."    Albert Einstein


                                                    Gateau Yaourt

1 1/2 c. flour        pinch of salt       1 c. sugar ( I only used 3/4 cup)         1/2  c. oil

1 tsp baking powder     1 tsp baking soda        3 eggs           zest of 1 lemon

1 c. plain whole fat yogurt

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease 10 inch cake pan. In medium bowl whisk sugar, oil, yogurt and lemon zest. Add eggs one at a time.  Sift together flour, salt, soda and powder then whisk into the sugar mix. bake 40 min. Let cool on rack then unmold. Serve as is or with powdered sugar and or fruit, whipped cream.




23 comments:

  1. Happy T Day Linda. That cake looks delicious. And we finally got some rain too last night, and I woke up and laid and bed and listened to it. It sounded so beautiful to hear it on the roof. Those birds are so cute. And loving the art too. Hugs-erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is yummy yummy. Thanks for the recipe.Love your art and the birds are adorable. Here is cold and I am glad summer is so distant. Thanks for sharing so many lovely things with us.Happy T Day Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely art and photos, those birds are too funny. They sometimes shelter on my balcony when the weather's bad, too! Beautiful journal page and fun cards, thanks for joining us again at AJJ and MM&M. The cake looks fantastic, thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at the birds, too, Linda. What a great find and lucky that you had your camera handy.

    Those cards are amazing. You get a LOT from that one design. I simply don't have your eye for making cards.

    That yogurt cake sounds wonderful and it looks even better on your back patio with coffee. It's been so hot here, I don't feel comfortable sitting outside. Yesterday it was 95 F with a heat index of 103. Very sticky, hot, and humid.

    Your latest AJJ entry is smashing. I enjoyed it beyond belief. You put SO much into it and I love how all the pieces came together in the end.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe, your birds, your cards, your incredible AJJ Back to School entry, and your coffee with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this cake is something for me! Thanks for the recipe - I will try this for sure! Your cards are beautiful Linda and the page for Elizabeth's schooltheme is just wonderful! I love all about it and great that you linked it to Moo Mania & More as well!
    Have a happy rest of the week - happy T-Day Linda!
    hugs
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your yoghurt cake looks delicious, such a lovely way to start the day! Those little birds sheltering from the rain are so adorable :-). I love your holiday themed cards and journal page - the colours, your attention to detail and the layers you have created are wonderful! Wishing you a Happy T day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to get a glimpse of your garden and I am imagining you sitting there enjoying that delicious cake and making your gorgeous art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe it looks a delicious cake. Super art projects as well.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny that the birds sought shelter. Onbe would expect them to like a bitof rain....
    You cards are lovely as is the 'back to school' page. The quote is so true.
    Yummy! That cake looks scrummy. I have a similar recipe but using the yoghurt container as the cup. That is why I don't make it very often because I don't buy yoghurt in little pots (we make our own by the litre). But I do know that it tastes fab.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before i was born and maybe when i was very young that i don't remember my family used to vacation at Cape May. So strange to hear you mention it as i have not thought of that in many years... Such wonderful things here on your T post this morning... That snapshot of the birdies getting out of the rain is just adorable and the cards are out of this world. LOVE the Halloweeny one.. :) Happy Tday!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. That flock of sparrows is precious and know a peaceful welcoming place when they see it ♥
    We were very happy to finally get some rain yesterday too.
    Your Cape May getaway sounds lovely!
    Enjoy * Enjoy!
    Thank you for sharing the gateau recipe.
    Your AJJ page is wonderful.
    I have missed checking in with you but have felt a bit overwhelmed with trying to get rid of things...too much stuff here!
    Happy T Day dear Linda oxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful AJJ page, love the sentiment on it!

    We know dry here in CA too. I pulled out a couple of flower gardens to adjust so we can water the lawn......most of my flowers are in pots now. Of course there isn't much curb appeal to house anymore....LOL!!! Can't win them all!

    Those birds are funny! I'm sure they were really enjoying the wet ground after the rain.

    Thanks for the visit and the lovely comment.....Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a pretty place for a treat while you wait for the rain. It's been dry here, too, with some rain but not much. We need one of those 2-day soakers. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your art today Linda!!! I am so not ready for summer to be over either and wish I could take off for the beach for 4 days. I may have to see if I can get the Husband to think about that. :) The cake looks and sounds yummy and something that I could adapt to sugar-free for the husband . Thanks for sharing the recipe ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your work....and thanks for the cake, it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way those sparrows took shelter! The cards you made using the sketches are both fabulous - I think using sketches is a good idea! I love the AJJ page! Your cake looks delicious and I think I will be trying it! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. super fun cards!!! Thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. finally my guests are back home again and i find the time for a belated t-day blog hop...
    wonderful artwork, linda - and the yogurt cake recipe Looks delicious! the recipe is bookmarked, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you have a lovely time away..... look forward to hearing about it :)

    The birds made me smile.... maybe they aren't quite ready for autumn either!

    Lovely seasonal cards Linda and that cake sounds amazing!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  20. ps I've written down the recipe and I'm going to give it a try... I have one quite similar but instead of lemon mine has almond essence. I'll let you know how I get on :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice cards and the page with the vintage school boy looks also great, like it much. The soft colored background is perfect to it.
    Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry I'm so late in visiting.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Linda....

    I tried to bake the cake... the mixture tasted brilliant but the cake was really quite heavy. Any tips? What type of flour do you use? Over here we have Plain and Self Raising.... I thought because you used Baking Powder and Baking Soda I'd try plain. I'll see what you say ... then try it again with Self Raising:) Mine needed 'a lift!' My boys still ate it though ;) !!!!

    Karen xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!