Monday, March 27, 2017

Things With Wings


https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/


Another Monday which means a new challenge at the Simon Monday Challenge blog! It also means that my stint as Guest Designer for this month ends with this post. I want to thank the staff at Simon Says for giving me this incredible opportunity. It has been an immense pleasure working along side such a talented group of artists! I also wish to thank all of you who took the time to pop in and leave a comment. Mwah! I will of course continue to participate as often as I can and I hope you will too:)

This week's theme is "Things With Wings"!

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=8407

 I have two projects to share. All products are listed with links at the end.

 First up is this frame and we are going to begin by making our own patterned tissue paper!
Begin by covering your workspace with newspaper. Add a sheet of plain tissue paper on top. Gather a variety of stamps including leaves, butterflies, script and background dots along with a black Archival inkpad. Begin stamping your images repeatedly onto the tissue:



 Keep stamping until you are satisfied and have filled much of the paper:


 Choose a photo frame to cover. Grab a brush and matte medium. Remove glass and backing from the frame.

 Tear tissue into pieces and collage over the whole frame.

 Don't worry about excess hanging as that will be trimmed away after frame is completely covered and dry. I also wasn't concerned about a bit of overlapping or crinkles.



Set aside. At this point I originally intended to add stains to color the frame but I liked it enough as is to leave it and add the color within the frame :) For the background behind the glass I traced the shapes onto white cardstock then used a blending tool and Salty Ocean Distress ink over it to emulate the sky. I slipped the colored shapes under the glass pieces and secured them in place from the back.

Next, the butterflies were stamped onto Distress watercolor cardstock with black Archival ink. They were painted by smooshing some Salty Ocean, Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick, and Squeezed Lemonade Distress inks from the pads onto a kraft sheet and picking up the colors with a watercolor brush. The butterflies were fussy cut and a bit of thin black wire was glued to the backs to form the antennae. My obsession thinking is that my butterflies must all have antennae:) I covered them with Stickles glitter glue and allowed to dry.


 I curled the wings and secured the butterflies on top of the glass with a dab of gel medium. A piece of black and white cardstock was trimmed to make a label. A Tim Holtz Occasions Small Talk sticker was added. A large gold brad was attached at each end then the label was secured in place with foam dots.



 Project 2- a simple postcard:

 I glued a piece of the handmade tissue paper to a watercolor card. It was then sprayed with Distress stain in Fossilized Amber and a grey/brown toned spray I made. I also used a Dina Wakley face stamp, Distress watercolor cardstock, black Archival ink, a scrap of twine and patterned paper, Tim Holtz mini stapler, Occasions Small Talk  stickers, black pen and Moonshine sequins. Hope you enjoyed this week's projects!

 Simon Says Stamp is giving away a $50 voucher for the online store to one lucky winner, but you can't win if you don't enter, so get to your craft space and create!

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

Product Links:
 plain tissue paper
 gel medium
 matte medium
 non stick craft sheet
 mini stapler
 blending tool
 adhesive foam dots
 SSS assorted Moonshine sequins
 Distress watercolor cardstock
 Jet Black Archival inkpad
 Occasions Small Talk  stickers
 Distress inkpads: Salty Ocean, Squeezed Lemonade, Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marmalade
 Distress Spray Stain- Fossilized Amber
 Stickles glitter glue-Diamond
 Clear Stamps: Altenew Floral Shadow set
                         Tim Holtz Butterfly 1, Butterfly 2
                         Dina Wakley All The Gals set


 For T Stands For Tuesday:

 how about lunch with a friend at Panera Bread? I had a delicious Mediterranean Veggie sandwich with sun dried tomato bread and would have it again anytime!

 A new month is about to begin so I made two spreads for April:

 Pg covered with a pretty patterned tissue paper then bits clipped from a magazine glued on.

 This is only the right side of my second calendar spread since the painted,dated side was the same as the first one.  I did add glossy accents on the raindrops but wasn't able to capture it. My page was inspired by this YouTube video.

 I am joining in at Art Journal Journey for the theme of "Out and About" hosted by Yvonne; along with Paint Party Friday!

 Next week I'll be sharing about my newly acquired Distress Oxide inks which are  AMAZING new inkpads from Tim Holtz!!

" Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back, and reasons to stay."  Dalai Lama





67 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the frame and the butterflies Linda! The stamped tissue paper is fabulous and I love that it was left white too, it really makes the colourful butterflies pop! I am going to have to CASE this!! :-)

    Love the postcard and journal page too! you are so super talented!! :-)

    As for your sandwich, I had that same one a few times on my last visit and it is my all time fave sandwich! delicious :-)

    Thanks so much for being in the spotlight these past few weeks. Your creations have all been AWESOME and I have really enjoyed our chats and I am sure we will be keeping in touch ;-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH! Amazing projects Linda! I am thrilled about your fantastic post! Happy T-Day ahead and thank you so much for supporting Art Journal Challenge again! You are an angel!
    Happy rest of the week!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful projects again Linda, love the frame and everything else, you really have one to town. Your sandwich looks great, I wouldn't mind one like it right now. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful project, Linda! I love those colorful butterflies against the tissue paper background. It's been so fun having you with us this month on the challenge. Your amazing talent has been so fun to see and please keep in touch.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy, fun, and love the projects!!!
    Always inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing and inspiring projects. Love how you created this frame. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much going on here, it feels and looks very much like Spring, full of bounce and joy, wonderful! Yes I miss PPF too but I was finding it hard to leave so many comments, lacking time. Still I may pop in from time to time. Thanks for visiting my way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I specially love the idea of making your own tissue paper with rubber stamping. I'm definitely going to give that a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a great post with fantastic art projects to see. The framed butterflies look beautiful. Wonderful journal pages as well.
    As its nearly T day I must add that your sandwich looks delicious.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy T Day I really loved the tutorial-but I really liked was stamping the tissue paper had never thought of that-I may just do that part for fun thanks Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your work ~ each one is divine ~ especially like the butterfly and how you framed it ~ beautiful ~ thanks, for the tutorial too!

    Wishing you a fun week ~ thanks ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful butterflies dear Linda.
    I Love the way tissue paper melts into the surface with matte medium.
    Your handmade tissue is lovely.
    Super journal pages and postcard.
    Your sandwich sounds tasty.
    Happy T Day to ya oxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, Linda, your frames are much, much different from mine. I like yours and love the butterflies you created for them. I also liked how you created your own tissue paper background. I may want to BORROW that idea if it's OK with you.

    Panera has some wonderful sandwiches and I like their new natural ads they came out with last autumn. It's a great place to get bread, if you don't have time to get a sandwich, too.

    Thanks for sharing your gorgeous art, your calender pages, and your sandwich and drink with us for T this Tuesday,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of great art projects to look at and all very beautiful.

    Nice looking sandwich as well

    Happy T Day to you

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful Butterfly art!! thanks for the tutorial with the tissue paper, i will try this.
    have a beautiful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow- I always love seeing all your latest creations Linda. You've done the Simon Says Stamp challenge proud with your creations. And Happy T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea to make your own patterned paper and yours is really fantastic. I love it. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! So much to enjoy today! Thank you for showing us the 'workings'. Very clear explanation. That little frame is gorgeous. And so is the simple card. You sure make beautiful things.
    And that tomato bread sandwich made my mouth water. (It's nearly lunchtime here so I have an appetite).
    Happy T-Day
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful projects, it looks like you had so much fun guest hosting too! The framed butterflies and your jounral pages for April are so pretty! Panera Bread brings back many fond memeories and is one of our favourite places to eat when we visit :-) . Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm booking marking your tutorial. Your photo frame would make a great gift. thanks for sharing. Panera! That's where A. and I were going to go before we decided to go to Uno's last week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oops, forgot to add. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never been to Panera bread... but after your yummy looking picture i may need to go!! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's been years since I ate at Panera Bread, but that bread looks scrumptious. I definitely need to go back. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wow. your frame and card are really fabulous projects! they turned out so lovely...and your planner journal is terrific too. love the sentiments for April! happy T day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh My Linda - you have finished your time with Simon Says Stamp on a high note! Your frame is fabulous and I love the postcard! I wish now that I had bought those Dina Wakley stamps when I saw them the other week. The sandwich looks delicious! I love the journal page for 'out and about'! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have enjoyed looking at all your art journal journey pages and ppf's too! I love how you add your special unique touch to your art. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Linda!!! I am totally in love with the frame project. You did a fantastic job on it and your postcard is great too. Love the April rain art too. Hubby has been complaining about our rain the past few days but I am thrilled with it. We have been in a drought here and trees and plants were beginning to stress. We got 3 inches of rain over the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous art, inspiration and food as normal Linda.

    I really love what you did with that photo frame.

    Great calendar pages too...

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous! Love the sparkles on the butterflies!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how your beautiful hand stamped frame surrounds the lovely colorful butterflies! Love the saying you chose too! It's been great having you with us this month, Linda, sharing your talent! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  31. excellent tutorial and looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  32. Super project, u can't beat a butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy PPF and a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful artwork. And some very interesting techniques. Extremely creative.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely post, Linda.
    Have a wonderful start to April xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a fantastic idea - the stamping of the tissue paper. Not only did it make a great frame for the lovely butterfly art, but it was used also on the watercolor card. Love the ideas you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wonderful butterflies! Thanks for such an informative post. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic Linda... so much to look at and I feel inspired. I've been thinking about creating patterned paper for some time. I really should give it a go. Thanks for sharing. Happy PPF to you :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. such lovely butterflies.
    perfect for the spirit of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Where did the month of March go? I've enjoyed every one of your projects for SSS and hope they'll invite you again soon.

    The butterfly framed art is beautiful and unusual. I like practical projects to expand the ways to use all my stash. One can only use so many cards, right?

    Happy T-day, Linda! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your butterflies are sparkly and spectacular. You make me want to go and try some new products even though my craft closet it groaning with supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful art projects and beautiful butterflies...great post~

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wonderful expressions and projects. You have a gift for butterflies and composition.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely work Linda! I like your Panera Bread sandwich too!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your frame project is stunning Linda! What a fabulous piece!! Love how you did that tissue paper now I'm wondering what I could cover with that!! Thanks for sharing all these fun projects..love the postcard too!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your projects are always packed with your amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your projects are JUST wonderful!! I love the frame you created, and agree with your choice to leave it B&W - it really just makes all your beautiful, sparkly butterflies pop! So fun to see what (and how) you create, and I can't wait to see your review on the new inks too ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. wow, that patterned tissue-paper ....! What a brilliant idea! I have to remember that, I really love the result. So many wonderful projects here, you sure were a wonderful guest designer. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow Linda, such a treat to read your great post! Thanks for the guidance and tips on preparing that gorgeous frame, and your completed butterflies are wonderful. Definitely true ... choosing to be happy :D)
    It's fun seeing your journal pages too. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a treat to have had you be our guest designer this past month! I've enjoyed seeing your creations and your inventive style so much. I also love all the cool "extras" you put into your posts such as food!!! You have a great artistic aesthetic!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Linda, it's been an absolute pleasure to have you join us with your wonderful art over the last month and I've really loved seeing all your creations! This project is so beautiful and I love how you showed the step by step of it coming together into the finished piece of fabulous art! xx

    ReplyDelete
  52. OOOHHH Linda this is absolutely fantastic! What a cleaver and creative project. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  53. The butterfly frame is so precious!!! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  54. another gorgeous project Linda...I love how you used these two stamp sets...it's been a pleasure to have you on the team...have a great weekend...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your creation is awesome, Linda. Love the gorgeous butterflies! Thank you so much for being our guest designer on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. FAbulous project Linda! every week you've created extraordinary works! It was a pleasure to have you with us this month! Love your colorful butterflies! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  57. A wonderfully creative use of hand stamped tisue papers. Funnily, I was in a swap this week...swap of hand stamped tissue paper backgrounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. we need rain, so thanks! But also some sunshine for the winged ones :) Nice art.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love this butterfly frame! The stamped tissue paper looks amazing and is so pretty on the frame. Love the butterflies too. And the fun umbrella journal page! Thank you so much for being our guest designer during March, I have really enjoyed seeing your creations. / Anna-Karin

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh how wonderful your artworks are. I love the butterfly pieces and it's so sweet of you to share your process.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh la laa...this is full of beautiful art, again.
    Rain has helped - almost all snow is gone and days are getting warmer...
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Your creations are amazing. The frame with the butterflies is beautiful.
    You may only be posting once (twice) a week, but - wow - what a post it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Lots of great things to see and read about in this post

    Happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love what you have done, I would never have thought of it. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  65. So lovely to hear from you Linda and to come here to your blog and see some exciting new artwork and ideas by you. Love all of your gorgeous butterflies, the paper you created and the frame etc.
    I'm blogging less at the moment. My darling hubby, Jeff, is facing surgery for prostate cancer in a week's time but we pray for the best outcome for him.
    Thanks for visiting and being in my life.

    Hugs,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!