Tuesday, March 29, 2016

T Stands For- Tutorial!

  
http://tuesdaytaggers.blogspot.de/


 It's an honor to be guest designer for Try It On Tuesday (TiOT)! The theme is "quotes" for two weeks beginning today and I have chosen to make  cards:


 The backgrounds are done using a gesso resist technique - one that I love using!  Here is how to do it:

 Gather your supplies. This is only a sample of what can be used.

You will need:
                        white gesso
                  
                        stencils, foam stamps, rubber stamps (for the gessoed images choose something that is NOT too detailed and remember to IMMEDIATELY clean off your stamps!)
                 
                        ink pads (for all cards shown I used Distress inks-except for the quotes)

                        cosmetic wedges or sponges

                        foam brush

                        baby wipes or damp paper towel

                        white card stock and coordinating card stock for layering

           
The first step is to repeatedly stamp or stencil your image onto white card stock using the gesso. Allow to dry (important!) I know this doesn't look white (it is) but I wanted you to be able to see the gessoed areas.


 Once it's dry, sponge several ink colors over the whole card.  Use  the baby wipe or damp paper towel to remove the ink from the gessoed images-and watch them pop!

 Add more interest and color by stamping repeatedly with coordinating inks over the card. Now finish them up with a quote and coordinating card stock panels:




 But what- you have NO gesso you say? Guess what?  I have discovered through experimenting that you could use plain white acrylic paint and it still works!! :




 Only thing is that the white won't quite be as pronounced or pop like the gesso after removing the ink as you can see in the above samples.

 Here is the technique used on a journal page:


 You can see the finished page here. I hope if you haven't done this before you will give it a try! Thanks so much for having me at TiOT! If you have any other questions about anything including the stamps I used, don't hesitate to ask.

 And this is for my T Stands for Tuesday gang:

 Oh wouldn't it be grand to all meet up for a café au lait and croissant at a Paris café?? Of course you could have tea if you prefer:)

 This is a 5" x 5" canvas. I applied a napkin image over it then enhanced with vintage image, words and some color.

 I am also linking this post to Moo Mania and More (theme is Spring); and  Paint Party Friday.

 Will see you here on Friday for another special post ;) Have a great week!

" The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness the human soul is apt to revive also."           Harriet Ann Jacobs






35 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards Linda! The backgrounds are very beautiful. Love the combination of colours and the great quotes as well.
    Thank you for being our Guest Designer for this challenge.
    Mar xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Linda! Also love the quotes! Thanks for joining us as GD at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have you as our guest designer.
    You made a great post with wonderful quotes.
    Have a happy day xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to have you as our guest at a Try it on Tuesday.

    Beautiful cards with a great technique. Thank you for sharing how you made them

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the beautiful cards you made for TIOT, good to have you with us this time round. Wouldn't it be great to be able to meet up in Paris for a cappuccino? Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being guest designer. It is exciting, isn't it? And I love your tutorial. Always fun to see how things happen, and get some inspiration,,,,,,. have a wonderful day Linda. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Linda, I'm thrilled you are the TioT guest designer this fortnight. I would have been here sooner, but stopped by Viktoria's and got caught up in her video.

    I don't have any distress inks, but I do have reinkers. I've used this technique using dye ink, though. I had completely forgotten about it until I got about half way through the tutorial. This is a wonderful way to share quotes.

    Your canvas is wonderful. Yes, I want to join you in Paris, even though I don't speak French. It would be fun to sip cafe au lait with you on the left bank of the Seine. Thanks for sharing your tutorial and your cafe au lait with us for T this Tuesday.

    BTW, since you are normally one of the first to link each week, I wondered what had happened. Now I know! Seems several of us T group have been chosen to be guest designers for TioT. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing what you do. A long time ago I used a similar technique with a class of schoolkids: we used a rather thick white gouache to make handprints on a white paper, let it dry and sprayed it with india ink. After that dried we rinsed it under the fosset, and magic! the handprints appeared. I was a student teacher at the time and the "mess" (not really) made me rather unpopular with my supervisor, but it was worth it for the joy it brought the children. :-) Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards and a fantastic step by step post. Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer this challenge at TioT's.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Linda, the cards are beautiful! have not seen this technique before, and it looks amazing...love the canvas too! yes, coffee in Paris sounds wonderful...if only I could afford the travel expenses...lol! happy T day dear!love your post... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cards for TIOT are just ADORABLE Linda and the paris cafe canvas is beautiful !!
    Happy T-Day!
    Great to see you as a designer at Try It On Tuesday!
    Yes!!! Let's meet in Paris ♥♥♥

    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. and!!!
    Thank you for being with us at MOO MANIA & MORE!!!♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cards and wonderful tutorial ~ thanks ~

    Wishing you peace in each day ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. It'd be great to meet at a Paris cafe for anything at all! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. fantastic Cards, the Backgrounds alone are works of art! and i like the paris cafe Piece also... working with napkins is great, isn´t it...
    thanks for your visit at my blog and happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tutorial Linda. Your cards and the journal page look beautiful. Sometimes I cover book pages with white acrylics and don't see any difference.
    Happy T day
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes indeed "the very thing you desire" ... a meet up in a Paris cafe would be excellent indeed ♥
    Congrats on being guest designer and for sharing your lovely background techniques.
    Pretty cards you made!
    Happy T Day dear Linda
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fabulous set of cards Linda, the backgrounds look wonderful, great tutorial too.
    Thanks for joining us at TioT with this great project.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, these backgrounds are tremendous, and your tutorial is excellent. I must try this. And yes!!!! wash your stamps immediately after using the gesso (how do I know this? haha!). I liked seeing your supplies, double liked as I have similar supplies. In fact the backgrounds are so good I don't think I could have covered them with the quotes, but then again you have chosen such lovely and inspiring quotes to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so cool! Just last night I watched a video on Youtube about this technique. Now I really need to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tutorial Linda, and all your cards turned out fantastic!
    Thanks for the T-day visit and the comment.
    Congrats on being guest designer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cards Linda! I just may have to make some of these as my stock of finished cards is extremely low these days . Congrats on being the quest designer ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful backgrounds to your lovely quote cards

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun technique. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spring!
    ~~ Irene

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your backgrounds are so magnificent, that I thought they were store bought prints. The colors are so much fun too. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Linda, I don't know why my comment failed on Tuesday but I have only just found out that it didn't publish! I am so pleased to see you as our GD and I love your gorgeous cards and the way you have made them! It certainly would be great to all meet up for coffee in Paris! Patty and I have planned to meet up next week in Paris so we will be thinking of you! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on the guest post and what a great post it is too. This is such a brilliant tutorial Linda that even though I have never stamped or journalled in my life this makes me want to give it a try - it looks so effective - those backgrounds would make great fabric for cushions and the like! You've chosen some great quotes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. really nice work

    Happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for this nice tutorial! I have done this before with the gesso and it creates such a cool effect. Your cards are lovely. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very interesting tutorial and lovely cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very interesting step-by-step-tutorial! I want to try this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tutorial! I love how your backgrounds turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the tutorial and the fabulous results!! These are wonderful quote cards...I love them so much! Good job!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really very nice art and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. this is fabulous... and i just finished drawing up a tea cup stamp that I am about to carve so i am going to give it a go... how cute would that be... thanks for the tute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments; it's a pleasure to connect with you!